• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Maserati27Maserati27 Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2020 5:02AM

@Jimnight said:
    Nice!

Thanks man. Yea ik they’re not worth too much. But it’s fun if I find an Indian head, war nickel etc. Been recycling $200 in various rolls for almost a month

• Jayyk31Jayyk31 Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

Fun and enjoyable is what counts! Valuable stuff is an extra! That's my take on it! Nice scores man!!!

edited February 12, 2020 5:34AM

@Jayyk31 said:
    Fun and enjoyable is what counts! Valuable stuff is an extra! That's my take on it!

where I bank there’s a coin machine that doesn’t charge % to cash back in. And not using coin star@ Walmart etc star while people would stare at me while they’re at the self checkout is really nice lol. Lately it’s a kind of slow but rewarding feeling finding silver and re estimating melt value profit whenever I find more.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats, keep us posted. :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I'm sure you are enjoying the hunt you need to be asking yourself: "Is this really worth all the effort I am putting into it? Could I be spending my time more productively?"

All glory is fleeting.
  • OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW. If you find it enjoyable and are realistic about hitting the jackpot (which it seems you are), I don't see anything wrong with it. My coin roll hunting ended when I was a kid years ago, but I always take a quick look at my change. Just my opinion

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2020 6:54AM

You must live in a northern US boarder state (or in Canada) to get so many Canadian coins in just $200 worth of circulated coin rolls. Very unusual to find a Buffalo nickel or even more so to find an Indian cent these days. Years ago, I can remember getting Buffalo nickels in change pretty often (60's timeframe) but never an Indian cent.

"Amazing" finds...

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice roll finds.... Always interesting to find an IHC or Buff nickel in a roll...Good luck, Cheers, RickO

edited February 12, 2020 7:21AM

@CCGGG said:
    You must live in a northern US boarder state (or in Canada) to get so many Canadian coins in just $200 worth of circulated coin rolls. Very unusual to find a Buffalo nickel or even more so to find an Indian cent these days. Years ago, I can remember getting Buffalo nickels in change pretty often (60's timeframe) but never an Indian cent.

"Amazing" finds...

I live somewhat close I guess. Depending on how much time I want to spend by going to different banks in other towns I get a chance to go through up to $1,000 rolled change in a week. And if I’m not able to look through it I’ll get my friend or brother to help.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool, I'm doing the same thing except with a full time job, kids, baseball, Theater, etc.etc.etc.
    Since my time is limited I narrow my search down to major varieties and high grades only. That way I can buzz through a box in less than an hour. Occasionally, I'll get lucky and find customer (home) rolled coins that haven't already been gone through. That is where I usually find the gems and I mull through those very methodically.
    Good luck!

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice haul.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2020 9:58AM

I just started roll hunting. Dimes appear to be the hardest. I put my own 90% dime in with a roll and can not see any difference like you can with quarters when checking the edges and they are all together. Same when spread out, have to check each dime individually.

Pennies take time but are easier to read without magnification. Nickles are not too bad.

I've decided if I can not see a obvious error by sight then keep moving on. I have a list of recognized varieties and of course key dates.
    I just have to decide if the time spent is worth it. My CU has a coin machine with no fee if you deposit the receipt so I do not have to reroll. I am learning that there are many coin roll searchers in my area. Even the vendors spot check for silver.

• SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭

Fun to find older coins in the wild. well done.

• Super nice. Guess I need to get back into roll searching. Have not searched rolls in a number of years.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@isaiah58 said:

I've decided if I can not see a obvious error by sight then keep moving on. I have a list of recognized varieties and of course key dates.

That is the best way to do it, by far,

And don't forget to ask for any loose half dollars the tellers might have in their tray. In my experience that is one of the best sources of silver. I take whatever they have, tell them I like to leave them as tips (which I do) and then I dump/spend the clad ones.

@isaiah58 Said: I've decided if I can not see a obvious error by sight then keep moving on.
    Careful, I need the loupe for the 68 ddr, 66 ddo, and 72 ddo 102-108. And you gotta flip those 92's & 69's for Close AM and No FG's :)

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

how many hours does it take to go through $1000 in nickels and cents?
    do you have any fancy machines or equipment to help?

@davewesen said:
    how many hours does it take to go through $1000 in nickels and cents?
    do you have any fancy machines or equipment to help?

Just recycle the 200$ I began with in rolled change and do $200 - whatever so and so cents I decided to keep maybe couple dollars worth of mixed nickels / pennys. Then do It 4-5x a week if I have the ppl I want helping me. Brother, friend, co worker

Sometimes I take a big handful of pennies and throw it hard as possible at the wall and break shit around the house 😂 jk but I might just do a silver hunt combo soon to make it easier on my eyes. Half dollar / quarters

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is some value in the Wide AM and Close AM Lincoln cents.

A few other modern Double Dies.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maserati27 said:
    Sometimes I take a big handful of pennies and throw it hard as possible at the wall and break shit around the house 😂 jk but I might just do a silver hunt combo soon to make it easier on my eyes. Half dollar / quarters

Silver hunting is easier on the eyes :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

@yspsales said:
    There is some value in the Wide AM and Close AM Lincoln cents.

A few other modern Double Dies.

Yes, but after turning over 250,000 of them to no avail, I won't do it unless its a higher grade wide AM. 92 is a different story.

@Maserati27 said:

Try finding a high grade 2019 cent :D Talk about hard on the eyes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file