Home Sports Talk

Is there life outside of earth?

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

_Scientists have discovered the first fast radio burst that beats at a steady rhythm, and the mysterious repeating signal is coming from the outskirts of another galaxy.

A mysterious radio source located in a galaxy 500 million light years from Earth is pulsing on a 16-day cycle, like clockwork, according to a new study. This marks the first time that scientists have ever detected periodicity in these signals, which are known as fast radio bursts (FRBs), and is a major step toward unmasking their sources._
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wxexwz/something-in-deep-space-is-sending-signals-to-earth-in-steady-16-day-cycles

Is there life outside of earth?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2020 12:28PM
    Yes

I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes, but we just haven't found it yet. The universe is so big, and there are so many planets out there, that there just has to be life somewhere out there. The scientists are discovering new planets all the time. I don't think it will be found in our lifetime, but it will be found eventually. I've watched a lot of documentaries on this stuff, so I'm pretty familiar with the subject. I've always found space to be fascinating.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

yes, but communication is probably impossible. Just think of the life diversity here on earth. 99.99999% of life has no ability to communicate outside of its visual or hearing range. Only humans in the past 100 years have been able to communicate via radio waves. there could be another earth out there, but if its earth circa 1700 we couldn't communicate at all with them even if it was a direct copy of us.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

No Way!

Yes

@3stars said:
    yes, but communication is probably impossible. Just think of the life diversity here on earth. 99.99999% of life has no ability to communicate outside of its visual or hearing range. Only humans in the past 100 years have been able to communicate via radio waves. there could be another earth out there, but if its earth circa 1700 we couldn't communicate at all with them even if it was a direct copy of us.

Very good point. There could be another earth type planet out there, but they could be in the year 2500 b.c. on their planet, so communication would be absolutely impossible.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Yes, my mother-in-law was from way out yonder.... B)

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know

@Bullsitter said:
    Yes, my mother-in-law was from way out yonder.... B)

Our mother-in-laws might be sisters.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know

I need visual evidence to 100% believe. I am a betting man and I would bet that there is

I don't know

Speaking of Aliens and what not check out the “Mandela Effect” it’s a very interesting theory

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I need visual evidence to 100% believe. I am a betting man and I would bet that there is

Agreed. I'll add that the chances that there is life close enough to Earth to make communication possible is essentially nil. And if there is life, as in the OP, in a galaxy 500 million light years from Earth then all that would tell us is that there WAS life there 500 million years ago; it would be far more likely than not that by the time we recognized the signs of life from such a place that it had ceased to exist eons ago.

Humans will never have contact with intelligent life from anywhere else; statistically, that's practically virtually a 100% certainty.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

No. But heaven and hell are real.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

The answer of course is yes. "Yes" is a fact not theory. We just haven't found it yet because we are still in the infancy of infancy in space exploration.

There are over 200 billion galaxies, that's right, "galaxies" in the universe. Some think there's a lot more. The chances of there not being life somewhere else just isn't possible.

There is life. Now how intelligent that life is will be the most interesting discovery. Unfortunately though, the speed of light basically acts as a barrier to long range space travel. The odds are extremely remote, if not near impossible, that we will ever personally meet other forms of intelligent life.

Sorry, but we're basically stuck with what we have here on this planet. :)

I don't know

@Brick said:
    Before we delve too deeply on this subject perhaps we should put forth an effort to find intelligent life on earth.

😂😂😂👍👍

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

to me, it seems sort of conceited to believe we are the only life in the Universe, but Humans always tend to think themselves too powerful. only 560 years since we figured out how to leave the planet for a few minutes and we think we know we're the only life, that's ridiculous.

remember, we haven't fully explored nor do we fully understand our own Planet.

edited February 12, 2020 5:35AM
    I don't know

What I find fascinating is I read that our oceans have not been full explored. To me that is insane since we can get robots to Mars 🤷‍♂️

edited February 12, 2020 7:20AM
    Yes

If we do find inteligent life, it probably won't be what we expect.

edited February 12, 2020 7:24AM
    Yes

Here's what NASA will probably find on another planet..

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know

While I do believe in Heaven and Hell and all the beings that live there, I however am decidedly undecided about extra terrestrial life

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guys... Let's try to keep the discussion here to something at least a bit sports-related. There is an awful lot of randomness going on around here, and something like this that has an easy link to afterlife and/or religion should be avoided.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
This discussion has been closed.