Home Q & A Forum

Is anyone familiar with this particular mint proof set?

Hello again I received a lot of help with my last post and I'm hoping this one should be a little more exciting to see. This is a United States Mint Proof Set-1990, these seem common enough, but the thing is my set actually contains the 1990 no mint mark penny. I can find the sets and I can find the penny by itself but I have not yet found another set that contains this penny:
image .

I will take some better pictures at some point. Any thoughts on this piece?

Best Answers

Answers

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just noticed that the magnification option is back by clicking on the picture. Probably been back a while, but I just noticed it... :p Yippee.... Cheers, RickO

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

If on ebay please report it, that is not a proof cent. If you bought it for any premium at all, get your money back.

@291fifth said:
    Yep, someone needed a proof cent for their album and switched coins. They then dumped this set, probably without making notice of the switch. The plastic holder looks like it has been roughly handled. Avoid sets with problem holders. There are PLENTY of sets with problem free holders available.

Someone wants an uneducated buyer to think they are getting a 1990 no S proof set.

Collector, occasional seller

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    If on ebay please report it, that is not a proof cent. If you bought it for any premium at all, get your money back.

@291fifth said:
    Yep, someone needed a proof cent for their album and switched coins. They then dumped this set, probably without making notice of the switch. The plastic holder looks like it has been roughly handled. Avoid sets with problem holders. There are PLENTY of sets with problem free holders available.

Someone wants an uneducated buyer to think they are getting a 1990 no S proof set.

eBay? Who said eBay?

• Interesting. So is the penny inside this set a genuine 1990 no mint mark error penny?

• Also. How can I tell if these sets have been opened or tampered with? I was told the case would shatter. Thank you everyone!

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@291fifth said:

eBay? Who said eBay?

No one, hence the "if" in my statement.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think this is the first time we've seen these pictures.

Collector, occasional seller

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

This whole "error" business is really getting out of control. Newbies please note: You are not going to get rich finding minor "errors". Most of what is being shown are not errors at all and most of the others are too minor to be of any interest.

All glory is fleeting.
  • I'm not treasure hunting @291fifth I inherited a large set and I'm just trying to learn about it so far everyone has been extremely helpful thank you.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1992coin said:
    Interesting. So is the penny inside this set a genuine 1990 no mint mark error penny?

No, it is a perfectly normal 1990 Philadelphia Mint business strike coin. THey do not have mint marks on them.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

those no S proof cents are worth a lot

https://pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1990-1c-no-s-dcam/93506

• TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    This whole "error" business is really getting out of control. Newbies please note: You are not going to get rich finding minor "errors". Most of what is being shown are not errors at all and most of the others are too minor to be of any interest.

Seems to be a flood this past week.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Texast said:

@291fifth said:

Seems to be a flood this past week.

This year.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1992coin said:
    Interesting. So is the penny inside this set a genuine 1990 no mint mark error penny?

If it looked like this it would be a real "no-S" San Francisco minted proof. But it doesn't. Instead it is an ordinary Philly-minted business strike cent.

As mentioned above someone tampered with the set.
    Lance.