Home Q & A Forum

Can anyone help me identify this weird mercury dime?

1992coin1992coin Posts: 63 ✭✭
edited February 11, 2020 2:24AM in Q & A Forum

Hello I am new here, and am new to the world of coins and collections. Having said that, I will be pursuing everything with patience and careful attention. I just inherited a fairly large collection of coins and collector sets. Out of this collection there are a few interesting pieces that I cannot find via a simple Google search and could definitely use some help identifying them. (Hope I'm posting in the right
forum) The first thing that sticks out on this dime is the date is missing the last digit:

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

That dime has had a rough life. That is post mint damage (PMD) With the amount of damage it has lost all collector value and is worth silver melt value.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD.

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Parking lot rash.

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like environmental damage too.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like 1918 S

Frank

BHNC #203

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! The mercury dime is worth just silver value due to rough life and environmental damage as previously mentioned.

----- kj
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1992coin ....Welcome aboard and welcome to the hobby. Unfortunately, as mentioned above, that coin has extensive Post Mint Damage (PMD)...and is worth only the melt value of silver content. Good luck in your new hobby.... I recommend you invest in the Redbook of coins (available for around $15 at the bookstore)...It is an incredible resource for collectors. Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too badly damaged to have any numismatic value. Worth only silver melt value.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Thank you guys. I have a few more oddball things to post. Really appreciate the help.

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice piece of old silver!

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:
    Parking lot rash.

Parking lots were made of dirt back in 1918.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:
    looks like 1918 S

How did you determine that? Just curious.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting and welcome!

Vplite99
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:

@Outhaul said:
    Parking lot rash.

Parking lots were made of dirt back in 1918.

Really? My research shows me that asphalt paving began in France in the mid 1800s and came to the US in the 1870s. additionally, depending upon the affluence of your area, parking lots were also paved with concrete, or sometimes smoothed cobblestones. They were, indeed, dirt in the less affluent areas.

HA HA, SUCKAH!!! :#

Cheers

Bob

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin gives new meaning to the term "junk silver".

If it were mine I'd banish it to the melting pot so it could be reincarnated as something easier to look at. ;)

• I know it is in rough shape I will probably just hold on to it. What is with the date though I cannot make out a last digit and it almost looks like there wouldn't be enough space for it either. But the rim looks like it has possibly flattened or rolled in over time.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even the handicap parking spaces were made of dirt back in 1918.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1992coin said:
    I know it is in rough shape I will probably just hold on to it. What is with the date though I cannot make out a last digit and it almost looks like there wouldn't be enough space for it either. But the rim looks like it has possibly flattened or rolled in over time.

It does seem to be slightly reduced due to wear or edge hits/rolling.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@Treashunt said:
    looks like 1918 S

How did you determine that? Just curious.

just looking at it, it could be either an 8 or a 9

looks more like an 8

Frank

BHNC #203