Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this a broken or cracked planchet? 1994 D Penny

Would this be a die crack or broken or cracked planchet, or a die crack?

Thank you for your help.

Answers

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I believe it is. If it is the result of a broken die the "crack" will be raised above the surface not recessed. Just confirm it is above the surface. If it is not or if only partly above it is damaged by a knife like instrument. If a "knife blade" that is pushed hard enough it will displace metal above the surface as well as making a deep "scratch". Just take a real close look with your magnifier and you'll see.
    Experts, I'm not one, will chime in....hope I'm right.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Thank you. Yes it is raised.

• GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does have the appearance of a split (cracked) die, but I actually think this one is damage.

Notice that near the date there appears to be a gap in the crack between the field and design rim. To me this suggests that a knife or other sharp object was run across the surface.

Better photos may prove me wrong.

• I hope this one helps.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not 100% positive, but there are some areas that look like corrosion bubbles under the plating. That would be consistent with knife cut or similar PMD. Whatever caused them, the small raised area do not look like something related to a die crack IMO

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pictures are very good.... What bothers me, is the discoloration seen in the area near the date, and the lack of a mark just before the rim above the date. This would indicate a deep scratch and the deterioration of the zinc below the copper plating... and the coin is certainly old enough to have the exposed zinc starting to rot. Cheers, RickO

• Thank you so much for your help

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mystrey9 said:

Would this be a die crack or broken or cracked planchet?

>

That would be a cut with a knife.
    Lance.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where the line touches the top rim it shows a cut.

Also, pics of the reverse would gave been helpful if it was potentially a cracked planchet.

• Thank you for your help.
    Ginny

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file