Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Finally finished my Willie Mays run!!!

This has been a journey of about 7 years from start to finish. Picked up his 51 Bowman rookie to finally finish this run. I tried to focus on good eye-appeal for the grade. Thought I would share the finished project with this board.

Comments

• mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Eye appeal is fantastic! Bravo!

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrpeanut39 said:
    Eye appeal is fantastic! Bravo!

Thanks.

• CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭

Nice run of a legendary player! Congrats and looks like you saved the toughest one for last. :)

BTW, interesting to note that it looks like '66, '67, and '69 could be all from the same photo shoot.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Say Hey". You did well.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Sidepocket1Sidepocket1 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Wow, great attention paid to the centering on those cards! Beautiful!

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats!!! :)

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great looking run! Well done!

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

They all have really nice eye appeal.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who is next on your list?

• sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations..... very nice. Great eye appeal. Love the 52 Bowman. Completed my Mays run 2 years ago and did the same thing (Rookie last).

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

yes
    the eye appeal is extraordinary
    super nice run

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

@CW said:
    Nice run of a legendary player! Congrats and looks like you saved the toughest one for last. :)

BTW, interesting to note that it looks like '66, '67, and '69 could be all from the same photo shoot.

Thanks. The 65 and 68 are certainly the same image and 66 and 69 are the same.

@pab1969 said:
    Who is next on your list?

Thanks. Johnny Unitas I will be finishing very soon. I might take on Hank Aaron next. I have a handful already. I sold my rookie a few years back to fund other purchases so the will be one of the harder ones to find.

@sayheywyo said:
    Congratulations..... very nice. Great eye appeal. Love the 52 Bowman. Completed my Mays run 2 years ago and did the same thing (Rookie last).

Thanks. I am still kicking myself for passing up a 51 Bowman about 5 years ago that was a PSA 3 and was an absolute beauty and priced less than I paid for the PSA 1.5.

@Sidepocket1 said:
    Wow, great attention paid to the centering on those cards! Beautiful!

Thanks for noticing. I really worked hard to find nicely centered cards of Willie. No easy task I might add.

• bswhitenbswhiten Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Awesome examples of buying the card...not the grade.

• swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

Very cool project and looks great! I'm currently working on two runs right now, Ernie Banks and Nolan Ryan (only going to 1980 for him). I'm about 75% on Banks and have most of the older, higher dollar cards already.

@bswhiten said:
    Awesome examples of buying the card...not the grade.

Thanks. One of the reasons it took so long. Patience pays off in the end.

@swish54 said:
    Very cool project and looks great! I'm currently working on two runs right now, Ernie Banks and Nolan Ryan (only going to 1980 for him). I'm about 75% on Banks and have most of the older, higher dollar cards already.

Thanks. Great project to work on with both Ernie and Nolan. Make sure to post results when you are finished. Here is my only graded Banks.

• BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

Sexy centering!!! All beauties...The '58 & '62 are exceptional.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nailed it! Nice work!

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Great stuff! Really nice work. The 66 was the one that gave me fits.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

SWEET!! Congratz!!

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

The eye appeal on those is outstanding! Great job.

KC

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice job - really like the centering. Like that you included the Bowman cards and fleer card. Often times we see runs of only Topps. Congratulations!

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your patience has rewarded you with a very nice run of Mays cards. Your 1957 and your 1952 Topps stand out to me.

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Freakin' stunning.

Andy

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super cool!

Nice work on this project and it must feel great to see them together.

Centering is perfect on the 52.

• mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

That is awesome. I know how hard it is to put together a nice run like that.

PackManInNC
  • mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Awesome Mays Run. I have always wanted a '53 Topps as for some reason that card has always caught my eye.

So.....whats next for you?

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!

@mccardguy1 said:
    Awesome Mays Run. I have always wanted a '53 Topps as for some reason that card has always caught my eye.

So.....whats next for you?

Just about finished with my Johnny Unitas run and then on to Hank Aaron. Thanks.

@nam812 said:
    Your patience has rewarded you with a very nice run of Mays cards. Your 1957 and your 1952 Topps stand out to me.

Thanks. The image quality on that 57 is as good as I have ever seen and the 52 is very nice as well.

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that image quality on the 1957 is exceptional. Nice Mays run!

mint_only_pls
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Beautiful collection. The 1951 Bowman is particularly nice. Congratulations on a job well done, JBrules.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it! Great job. Working on a similar Hank Aaron project but have hit a major wall.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules Great cards! Doing the same with Lance Alworth in football(okay, not as tough lol) and will start a Frank Robinson set using your strategy.

@rexvos said:
    Love it! Great job. Working on a similar Hank Aaron project but have hit a major wall.

Thanks rexvos. Time to knock that wall down and get that Aaron project moving in the right direction. Look forward to seeing it completed.

@hyperchipper09 said:
    @JBrules Great cards! Doing the same with Lance Alworth in football(okay, not as tough lol) and will start a Frank Robinson set using your strategy.

Thanks hyperchipper09. I have always liked Lance Alworth. He has some great looking cards for sure. I have toyed with a F. Robbie run as well. I have a nice looking rookie to start with but that is it. Very underrated player. Look forward to seeing your pickups.

• lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

great collection of mays cards thank you for sharing.