WINNING!

• Options
    Maserati27Maserati27 Posts: 121 ✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    WINNING!

How much $ will I make

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you search sold items on eBay, you can see what similar coins sell for.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

The '55-S comes extremely nice.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2020 4:12PM

I have a graded version in MS 67 that i purchased for 60dollars..... so a lot less than that is my guess. I will say it is a nice coin but I do not think it is MS-67 with the hit on the chin and cheek bone

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    If you search sold items on eBay, you can see what similar coins sell for.

I looked. That was nice and sobering.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah yes, 1955-S were saved in great quantity. Unfortunately even in that nice condition they are pretty common.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

55-S cents were hoarded in huge numbers. Some are now finding their way back into circulation. I found one in unc. about a year ago. Unfortunately, they really aren't worth much.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2020 8:32PM

Nice year! Nice coin! Here's one ('55s) in my collection. Mine has a rim ding, 9;00. your's don't.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome !

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why in such a hurry?
    Money does strange things to some people.
    I've seen you all around this sand box.
    Seems like your interested in other aspects rather than money in pocket.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2020 9:47PM

Look at this recent advertisement from Numismatic News. The seller is quite reputable, I have done very satisfactory business with him in the past:

You can buy what is an probably original roll (50 coins) of 1955-S Lincoln Cents for $29.95 plus $6.00 postage. $35.95 divided by 50 pieces is slightly less than 72 cents each.

That is retail. Not the price that you can sell coins to a dealer!

Are you going to pay for your Maserati this way? I think not.

• Options
    SSRSSR Posts: 235 ✭✭✭✭

Nice find regardless of the value.

www.paradimecoins.com - Specializing in Top Pop Type PCGS CAC coins. Subscribe To Our NEWPs Mailing List

• Options
    CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

Rare find! Looks uncirculated and to be a red cent. May be worth a couple bucks.

• Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

A really nice circ find, my birth year!

Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maserati27 said:

@Hydrant said:
    WINNING!

How much $ will I make

In the history of the world, no one has gotten rich roll searching. In fact, in the history of the world, no one has made as much money roll searching as they could have made by working at the local 7-11.

Prediction: you will never make enough money from roll searching to make it worth your time. Period. People do it for fun. There is no profit when your time is considered.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice cent to pop out of a roll.... Usually they are all BN....Good for your cent album. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited February 9, 2020 7:25AM

@291fifth said:
    55-S cents were hoarded in huge numbers. Some are now finding their way back into circulation. I found one in unc. about a year ago. Unfortunately, they really aren't worth much.

I can hardly imagine someone just spending a roll of '55-S. I know they aren't worth much to most people but most people won't have these. The ones who do are very unlikely to spend them.

In order to wholesale rolls they need to be pretty nice so it is possible someone would run several rolls together and spend the remainder.

Another thing is that while the '55-S comes exceedingly nice the roll this one came from probably had some very nice Gems in it. This specific coin is high end itself. I haven't seen that it's clear that the roll in which this was found wasn't an original roll. It's far easier to believe this was the nicest specimen in a roll of '55-S than that it was pulled out of a roll of circulating pennies. I've never found a '55-S in circulation so finding a Gem in 2020 seems improbable to me.

Coincidentally I just spent a VF '55-S the other day. The first one I've ever spent but it somehow got separated from the bucket of wheat already sold and wasn't worth the effort of selling independently. It might make someone happy. This date is worth about the same in every grade until you get up to the Gems.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

@cladking said:

@291fifth said:

I can hardly imagine someone just spending a roll of '55-S. I know they aren't worth much to most people but most people won't have these. The ones who do are very unlikely to spend them.

In order to wholesale rolls they need to be pretty nice so it is possible someone would run several rolls together and spend the remainder.

Another thing is that while the '55-S comes exceedingly nice the roll this one came from probably had some very nice Gems in it. This specific coin is high end itself. I haven't seen that it's clear that the roll in which this was found wasn't an original roll. It's far easier to believe this was the nicest specimen in a roll of '55-S than that it was pulled out of a roll of circulating pennies. I've never found a '55-S in circulation so finding a Gem in 2020 seems improbable to me.

Coincidentally I just spent a VF '55-S the other day. The first one I've ever spent but it somehow got separated from the bucket of wheat already sold and wasn't worth the effort of selling independently. It might make someone happy. This date is worth about the same in every grade until you get up to the Gems.

Heirs of the original hoarder find the rolls, know nothing about coins and just dump them at the bank. The knowledge of the general public regarding numismatic coins is very, very low. In addition, the pressures involved with estate disposals are often intense. This leads to quick disposals in order to get things over with.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

I wonder how many people even noticed the prices for the more recent dates like the '86-D.

For every person who collects memorials there are a couple dozen who'd be interested in the '55-S. Every year a few more '55-S are lost but a lot more '86-D's are lost because they rot right in the roll. And every year there are more memorial collectors.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice color on it.

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find... Looks like a partial print mark on the rev. Everything from the late 40's onward are pretty easy and cheap to get in unc condition but rare to find in change.

Yours looks like it could be a 65RD to me.

• Options

@CCGGG said:
    Nice find... Looks like a partial print mark on the rev. Everything from the late 40's onward are pretty easy and cheap to get in unc condition but rare to find in change.

It's only "65 RED" if it is in a major brand slab at that grade. Otherwise, it is just an unc. Plastic rules the market these days.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

You can buy a PCGS 65RD on eBay right now for $13.50 with free shipping, offers accepted. Shipping and grading fees are more than that so after paying a discounted rate for those, it's almost like the coin is free.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@CCGGG said:

It's only "65 RED" if it is in a major brand slab at that grade. Otherwise, it is just an unc. Plastic rules the market these days.

It sounds as if he was just giving an opinion on grade, as many of us do here. However, even at that grade level, the coin isn’t worth the cost of submission. I saw where a PCGS 65RD brought $7 (including postage) on EBay.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    Nice!

Nice pic.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aside from the above mentioned advert, how many dealers actively sell rolls?

Talking all the likely suspects... Lincoln cents, Buffalo nickels, Washington Quarters, Franklin/Kennedy Halves

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@291fifth said:

@CCGGG said:

It sounds as if he was just giving an opinion on grade, as many of us do here.

He was, but some people.....

• Options

@CCGGG said:

@MFeld said:

@291fifth said:

@CCGGG said:

It sounds as if he was just giving an opinion on grade, as many of us do here.

He was, but some people.....

Give good advice.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's what I did to my 1955s roll.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its a nice find but just not valuable, great to fill out an album with.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@yspsales said:
    Aside from the above mentioned advert, how many dealers actively sell rolls?

Talking all the likely suspects... Lincoln cents, Buffalo nickels, Washington Quarters, Franklin/Kennedy Halves

None. John Wells has sold cent rolls for years and has advertised others but these coins don't sell well and they are very difficult to obtain. rolls before 1965 can be found but most later ones are impossible and this goes double for clad. Even zinc rolls are often skunky. You can't tell until you open them.

Most modern rolls other than cent are assembled from mint sets. Many original rolls are in plastic due to silverfish and acid in the paper.

This sure ain't 1964 no more. It's very unusual to see rolls advertised. Even cent rolls that are more available aren't often retailed due to lack of supply or demand. The prices may seem high to many people but if you purchase an '86-D cent from a dealer he'll want $1 and shipping. This makes 75c / 50 quite inexpensive in comparison and finding another seller won't be easy.

I haven't seen eagle reverse clad quarter rolls available from a list since 1999 and these were incomplete and high priced. It's way easier today to find a $700 '83-P original roll than a $20 original roll of 1973-D. People don't understand these modern markets because most people think all these coins are extremely common. The reality is that if there were a supply sales wouldn't be high enough to pay for an ad!!!

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    >

Heirs of the original hoarder find the rolls, know nothing about coins and just dump them at the bank. The knowledge of the general public regarding numismatic coins is very, very low. In addition, the pressures involved with estate disposals are often intense. This leads to quick disposals in order to get things over with.

Obviously this is possible.

But what are the odds that someone would just happen to spend it and Maserati27 would find it? They make billions of coins a year and only a few thousand BU '55-S's a year will hit circulation.

I'd buy a lottery ticket if I got one anywhere but the coin shop.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

@cladking said:
    It's way easier today to find a $700 '83-P original roll than a $20 original roll of 1973-D.

I've been working on a collection of world coins for a number of years now. I have all the high dollar coins, the ones I'm lacking are those that catalog for a buck or so. Is it because those coins don't exist? I suppose that's possible. Of course, it could very well be that those who might have them are not motivated to look for or list them for sale due to the minimal return expected.

Regarding a roll of quarters retailing for $20, first class shipping is about $5.50, eBay/PayPal fees are about $2.50. Considering that, why would anybody who has a roll bother to list it for sale?

• Options

@cladking said:

@291fifth said:
    >

Obviously this is possible.

But what are the odds that someone would just happen to spend it and Maserati27 would find it? They make billions of coins a year and only a few thousand BU '55-S's a year will hit circulation.

I'd buy a lottery ticket if I got one anywhere but the coin shop.

But remember, I also got one in change about a year ago.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@MasonG said:

I've been working on a collection of world coins for a number of years now. I have all the high dollar coins, the ones I'm lacking are those that catalog for a buck or so. Is it because those coins don't exist? I suppose that's possible. Of course, it could very well be that those who might have them are not motivated to look for or list them for sale due to the minimal return expected.

Regarding a roll of quarters retailing for $20, first class shipping is about $5.50, eBay/PayPal fees are about $2.50. Considering that, why would anybody who has a roll bother to list it for sale?

A lot of $1 world modern coins are distressingly common. But others like a 1986 Fijian 20c are most probably quite scarce. Some coins are unseen because they are common, cheap, and don't sell but others are not seen because they aren't around. It's simply unknown if they are scarce or not because there is no demand. It takes some digging to determine the reason. Sometimes it used to be quite obvious coins were rare and the reasons were apparent. Soviet moderns weren't seen in this country except for mint sets that were extremely inexpensive. Most of these "mint sets" look like proofs but every attempt to get BU's through correspondence met a dead end because Russians simply didn't collect Soviet era coins. Now they do but most all were melted back in '90/'91 and it's too late. Not only are BU's tough but so are VF's and mint set coins. I believe demand is still quite low but I have not researched this extensively. Anecdotal evidence strongly suggests it's the tiny supply causing high prices. Many of the coins are now being repatriated to Russia and flowing out of the US. But there never were very many here and Russia is a huge country.

One of the biggest untapped markets may prove to be Gem world moderns. Many countries have exacting production standards for coins and Gems can be nearly typical. But most countries quality is hit and miss. Even coins that exist in significant quantity like 1977 Indian 10p it can be virtually impossible to find a specimen in even MS-63. And this applies to some scarce issues as well. So long as these coins remain ignored attrition will remain extremely high. Cheap foreign coins just gravitate to junk boxes and landfill. Owners have no means of knowing their "real value". No one tosses an 1804 dollar into Niagara Falls but they might toss in a Gem Singaporean dollar that lists for $2.50

There are reasons that clad quarter rolls aren't advertised beyond the small supply and lack of demand. Most buyers are happy buying singles or obtaining them from mint sets. Wholesalers know the rolls are "always" mint set rolls. This market is "consumer" driven. Most of the rolled coins end up in mint mark/ denomination sets and sold at retail prices so cost of rolls is (almost) immaterial. They just want nice coins. But the era of "raw moderns" may be coming to a close.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

@291fifth said:

But remember, I also got one in change about a year ago.

I guess I just assumed it had been around the block a few times and was a typical specimen rather than a Gem (with a problem). I do sometimes see BU's from the '50's and '60's but typically they are not better dates or Gem. Typically they are roughed up a little on the high points even though still Unc or sliders. 20 years ago sliders were pretty common for all memorial dates except '65 - '67.

Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file