Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

State quarter missing clad layer

I was hoping for some other collectors opinions on this little gem I found.

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin has both clad layers so it is not missing a clad layer.

• Options

Why is it goldish on the reverse?

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it just me... I can't really tell anything from the images. Wouldn't one need to see the "edge view" of the coin? Or use a micrometer to gauge the thickness?

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a missing clad layer. Rev appears to have some minor toning. Genuine missing clad errors will look like a copper cent.

Two quick checks.
    1. Can you see the 3 layer sandwich around the edge? Note: this can sometimes look off centered due to smearing during the blanking process
    2. Does it weigh the same as a normal quarter. A missing clad layer will result in a significantly lighter coin

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

@Icy1364 said:

It could be improper annealing but is hard to tell from your photos

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Icy1364 said:

Improper annealing or toning

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

need better photos to tell

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is not missing a clad layer.... Looks like some environmental effect has caused a light tarnish on the reverse. Could have been laying on paper or wood for an extended period...Cheers, RickO

• Options

New to the forum here guys - found this in a roll when I was searching for W quarters. Can't find anything online about a coin missing both clad layers. Anyone ever seen one?

• Options

The above coin is plated and not an error coin.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrbliss72

That looks to be a gold plated coin.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

The above coin is plated and not an error coin.

+1.

Well, it's still worth a quarter.,..

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options

Guys - look closely above "UNITED STATES" on the outer edge of the coin. There is a tiny bit of clad there. It's definitely not gold plated.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrbliss72 said:
    Guys - look closely above "UNITED STATES" on the outer edge of the coin. There is a tiny bit of clad there. It's definitely not gold plated.

That's because the plating, whatever material it is, has flaked off that area. That's what it looks like to me.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:

@mrbliss72 said:

That's because the plating, whatever material it is, has flaked off that area. That's what it looks like to me.

After more careful inspection on my part, it does appear that the plating has chipped off. I never looked at it like that. It always just appeared to me that the nickel was on top of the copper/gold plating. I've never seen anything like this before. I really appreciate you guys commenting on this. Like 2ndCharter said above...still worth a quarter... Haha..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file