Home U.S. Coin Forum

Found this nickel today, should I get it graded?

Ik most of all the coins I find are worthless and seems like I waste my time but I’m going to keep trying lol. But Anyways

Tagged:

Comments

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, no reason at all to get it graded but it is a silver nickel, net silver content about 0.056 oz of silver, say about a buck's worth of silver. It's in Very Good condition.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to build a set of vg Jefferson Nickels for the Registry.....sure go for it. It's your money. But for grades like this I would use an album. JMHO

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a nice war nickel but not worth sending in.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

A war nickel is a nice find, but not worth grading. You can get a very nice uncirculated one for around $10-$15.
    Take a trip down to your local coin shop and browse a while.

Collector, occasional seller

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2020 1:18PM

Beautiful coin, dude! Also, I'm glad to see you're using gloves now and taking better care of the coin you hold. LOL ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's in Very Good condition.

There you go, you got it graded for free, along with an appraisal.

Seriously though, get a Redbook, or use the CoinFacts information provided by
    PCGS. Knowing that the value is approximately $1, and professional TPG certification + shipping, etc is $35-$40 per coin, would help you to answer this and future questions
    of this nature.
    Best of luck to you!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes send it to pcgs!!

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check the price guide for a 1942 p nickel in VG condition and decide if it is worth the price of having graded.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BUFFNIXX said:
    yes send it to pcgs!!

I know what you're doing. Let him learn the hard way. Like our parents used to teach us. LOL

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

No ... No ... No ... No ... and on and on.

All glory is fleeting.
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

But you could have an appreciation for coins and the gloves mean to me that you want to do it right.

Although the coin isn’t found much in circulation now, it’s a common coin in the collecting world.

Keep studying and keep looking.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a "keeper" because of the Silver content.
    No biggie, though, as you saw above.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

No not worth grading. Nice find.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not being sarcastic, but have you spent any time looking at the PCGS photograde pictures?

Very few coins are worth grading in low condition unless they are rarities. I doubt anyone has found a chain cent in change for 150 years. The only modern coins that are going to bring money and are worth grading are those in EXCEPTIONAL CONDITION. You need to be factoring that in. If you find a Merc dime in circulation, it is NOT worth slabbing unless it is a 1916-D or one o the 1921s. Otherwise, it has to be of EXCEPTIONAL CONDITION, and a pocket change find won't be, to even be worth more than melt.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2020 3:12PM

@Maserati27 Depending on the TPG you use and the services you request, sending in an individual coin for grading is going to cost around $50+, for fees, postage etc. The opinion of many experienced members on the site is that a coin a coin should have an approx. value of $100-$200 to make grading worthwhile. Before you ask if you should have your coin graded, you need to have an idea of the value. In in order to establish a value you have to know some grading basics (and a lot more than the basics if you think you have an ultra high grade).

There is nothing wrong with coin roll hunting. Your war nickel is a great find. But you need to remember that your up against some pretty steep odds of hitting the jackpot. Even finding a coin worth a buck and change like your war nickel doesn't happen very often.

Something to think about. If it was easy to get rich by searching coin rolls, do you think any of us long time collectors would be wasting our time trying to help new collectors learn about coin collecting?? Heck no! We would all be sitting on a beach drinking rum drinks with little umbrellas in them.

Once again, if you're getting your info from YouTube videos, STOP. The "get rich" hacks never tell you the whole story. They just want you to keep clicking on their site. Giving their audience factual information isn't going to get them many clicks

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a neat find from circulation. I would grab a plastic nickel tube, put it in there then keep looking. Fill the tube with War Nickels you find in circulation. It will be a challenge to fill it, but when you do, I can all but guarantee you will get more satisfaction from that than getting the coin graded and look at something you would be way in the hole for. jmho.
    George

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

$5 buyers fee on an $8 coin???

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the above.

Great to find a decent circulated war nickel in circulation (or any silver for that matter) but its value is FAR lower than the cost of grading, so there is no reason to even ask the question.

Good on the gloves, though.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3stars said:

That would make it a $13 coin.

Collector, occasional seller

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a cool circ find, very nice circ find actually, but worth 80c-$1.

• CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

You are hunting for errors. You are hunting to get a slabbed coin. As mentioned above go to your local coin shop and buy some raw coins. Get a bag full of wheat cents. Get a couple cheap slabs. Start from there. Get a book and do some research. Time is your friend in this hobby

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3stars said:

Yeah, that's the minimum at Great Collections. Makes sense as they have fixed costs to image and handle coins, no matter how inexpensive.

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

not a bad find

as for getting graded IMHO i wouldn't

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep war nickels for their silver content and the unique mint mark position.... I do not send my 'finds' in for grading....I guess I might if it were an exceptional coin - i.e. obvious high grade, no blemishes, luster etc.. Cheers, RickO

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's an XF. There are two on eebay. Couldn't find anything VG in out host's holder. Five were sold in the last 2 months, all varieties,
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-PCGS-XF-Detail-Attractively-Toned-Jefferson-Nickel/303468688230?hash=item46a824b366:g:aPcAAOSw4gVeJ5iC
    Doesn't look like too many folk are bent on putting together certified low grade circulated coin sets for the exception of low ball sets. There's little market for them. No....spending $40 to $50 and your time, if you value it, for a coin that has a value no higher than melt silver......I would search for something more of mint state. Even than, you'd want a coin that would grade MS65FS or MS66FS and they're not easy nor chap to find.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file