Home Q & A Forum
Options

Very old pocket watch! Anyone familiar with these?

CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Found these 2 pocket watches in a box filled with rocks and lord know what else. (New Home Purchase) They are fairly interesting! Anyone off hand familiar with these?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I shall note that those are my Girlfriends legs 🤣 LOl

• Options
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. I am sure like many collectables, watches have probably taken a hit in recent decades, but that English one with all the hand engraving might be of particular interest.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which pictures go with which watch?

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

The first 5 pictures are the first watch with the engravings. The second are the last two which does not have a case to open. > @Kliao said:

• Options

I thought it was worth looking into. I will admit I have not yet tried any type of online search yet.> @JBK said:

Nice. I am sure like many collectables, watches have probably taken a hit in recent decades, but that English one with all the hand engraving might be of particular interest.

• Options

I assume the stamp “1702 “is the date of manufacture and the stamp “ No 1799 “ is a serial # perhaps

• Options

I believe the other bit is petrified or fossilized wood. A obsidian arrow head to match. Wasn’t complaining lol

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice arrow head ... or 'point' as they are called....The other does look like fossilized wood... should have it tested, could be a nice piece. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@CRH4LIFE said:
    The first 5 pictures are the first watch with the engravings. The second are the last two which does not have a case to open. > @Kliao said:

Can you get the back plate of the first one to open? It’s an antique key wind pocket watch. If you can get that back part open, the movement will have a manufacture mark and serial number to date it. Is the case silver?

As for the second, you will also have to get the Mack off for the serial number on the movement to date it.

• Options

Yes I actually just got all 3 parts open. There are serial numbers and different hallmarking I will get pictures of all! I believe it is silver yes > @Kliao said:

@CRH4LIFE said:

Can you get the back plate of the first one to open? It’s an antique key wind pocket watch. If you can get that back part open, the movement will have a manufacture mark and serial number to date it. Is the case silver?

As for the second, you will also have to get the Mack off for the serial number on the movement to date it.

• Options

There are a ton of marking on the inside of the back I did not see before

• Options

Hmm I may do that if I knew how to go about that 😆> @ricko said:

Nice arrow head ... or 'point' as they are called....The other does look like fossilized wood... should have it tested, could be a nice piece. Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:

• Options

So I grabbed pictures of hall marks. I believe or stamps. The rest I believe to be engravings or scratched in jumbo from previous owners? I believe the second watch is a Elgin

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm. If silver it would have a row of three British hallmarks (based on the Liverpool reference).

• Options

The markings that you show. Most are scratch markings that are what the watch makers do to show the things they did to the movement. None of the marking show that the case is silver. Unfortunately the movement is not signed by the maker. It looks like a lower quality 8-9 jewel movement. The hairspring is messed up so it will take a bit of work to get the watch moving again.

Did you get the Elgin watch back of?

• Options

Thank you for the info, This is still alright by me it being free 😆 No luck. It’s ok pretty good it’s looks like it may have residue or gunk on there so I will have to try to open the back tonight after work sometime > @Kliao said:

The markings that you show. Most are scratch markings that are what the watch makers do to show the things they did to the movement. None of the marking show that the case is silver. Unfortunately the movement is not signed by the maker. It looks like a lower quality 8-9 jewel movement. The hairspring is messed up so it will take a bit of work to get the watch moving again.

• Options

@CRH4LIFE said:
    Thank you for the info, This is still alright by me it being free 😆 No luck. It’s ok pretty good it’s looks like it may have residue or gunk on there so I will have to try to open the back tonight after work sometime > @Kliao said:

The Elgin pocket watch looks to be a twist off. So try that. Don’t try to pry open the back as you can damage the threads on the watch.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use the Google, there's lots of info and pics on Tobias of Liverpool watches. Elgin made lots of the same. Pocketwatchdatabase.com is interesting. Every time a watch was serviced the technician scratched his mark inside, some used a date, a number, initials. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall