Home U.S. Coin Forum

A study in the 1945 DDO Mercury Dime.

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

A week or so ago when I upgraded my 1945 DDO FS-101 from 58 to 64 I noticed something. Looking at each with my 16X loop I noticed a suttle difference in the doubling in the date. So I went to the CONECA site for comparison and sure enough my AU58 was misattributed and is really a DDO-5. The 1945 DDO FS-101 is DDO-2. I am showing a pick of both below for your comparison. The main difference is the doubling on the tail & bottom loop of the 9 and the bottom of the post of the 4.

Comments

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can really see it in the bottom of the 5 as well.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice catch Jon.... and good detail in the pictures.... Thanks for showing us...Cheers, RickO

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

Good thing you got that very nice MS64!
    (At an absolute bargain price, too.) ;)
    On any attributed coin you need to do the comparison right away. There are a bunch of misattributed coins out there. There are also many coins in holders not attributed from before they would attribute coins, and from people who send in coins and don't ask for the attribution. I find the 1945 DDO to be one tough coin; even though the population is growing.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a second I thought Dimeman was back. I miss that guy.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My thought exactly when I saw the post..... I miss Dimeman... Jon is a good guy and lots of knowledge. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file