Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2000 Lincoln penny error

Found this searching penny rolls last night with my friend. I don’t think I’ve seen anything like it. Can someone help me figure out the types of errors please? Thank you

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s just staining. Nothing special about it, IMO.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2020 7:19AM

I am not an error or variety expert, nor even a searcher of either. But I am a coin forum enthusiast. Therefore I have seen many collectors asking these types of questions. I have found some of the best advice includes:

Learning what the different types of errors are.
    Learning about how the different types of errors are created.
    Knowing what year/mm combinations actually have an error and how common it is. Then looking for that specifically.
    This way you are not tying to find something that isn't there.
    When you become an expert at one type of error, etc you will be able to possibly identify it on unknown examples.

Hope this helps!

Edited to add more info.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your cent is stained due to exposure to unfriendly chemicals ....for modern cents, that could be anything from soapy water to beverages such as soda, beer or coffee. No mint errors there. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Environmental damage. Copper is a reactive metal and this coin did not play well with something. There are so many ways for coins to discolor it's probably impossible to say exactly what happened, but you can be certain that the coin did not leave the mint looking that way

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is nothing more than a stained cent. You should know this by now. It is worth exactly one cent.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with all the above.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2020 8:25AM

There is an old saying... "Buy the book before the coin."

Buy the latest edition to the Cherry Pickers Guide to Rare Die Varieties by Bill Fivaz.

Then search the unlimited amount of ebay listings across a broad spectrum of series and years.

Comes with pictures and notes about each coin.

That way you are looking for specific pick up points and not wasting time with pocket change.

You are not learning anything with the process you are employing.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not an error. Just stained

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do see one error- in the way the coin is being held. ;)

Only hold collector coins by the edges,

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2020 12:52PM

Good advise above. If you are interested in a 2000 Cent being a error or variety coin. Always check the reverse where the word
    "America" is. If the AM is separated(A M)then you would have a special 2000. There are also 1998's and esp. the big one, 1999. The '99 in a mint condition can be worth $500! ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the rare "camo" cent. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is nothing in the minting process that would cause this. When you understand the minting process, it is easier to recognize what is or isn't a possible error. After a coin leaves the mint, anything can happen. Like this.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2020 7:10AM

@JBK said:
    I do see one error- in the way the coin is being held. ;)

Only hold collector coins by the edges,

Well, how much damage could his hand do to that coin? ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file