Home Metal Detecting
Options

A little beach hunt has the equinox ringing a sweet tune

JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2, 2020 8:17PM in Metal Detecting

A quick hit of the beach today had me digging up a lot of targets.
I hit the mother load of matchbox cars and other toys (not all are shown).

I also came across two rings.
The first one I found, the owl, initially had me thinking it was just a junker.
It was so dark and crusty, I took it to be a fake / kids ring, but it turns out it's actually sterling and 18k.

The other is a large silver ring, could even likely be a men's wedding band. It's about a size 10.
The day was a little on the cold side, especially out on the beach after several hours of detecting, but it was a nice time just the same.
_

*fixed spell

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice ring finds.... and great beach pictures....certainly have a vast area to search....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's cool, I like

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let us know when you find the tidal wave convergence line at low tide. That's where the good jewelry is. What's the water temp? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Let us know when you find the tidal wave convergence line at low tide. That's where the good jewelry is. What's the water temp? Peace Roy

I'm an old hat at detecting, including beach hunting. I've used an Excalibur for years. The Excalibur is the only detector I've owned that has paid for itself, a couple of times over actually.
    Back about 10-12 years ago we had a storm that put a good cut about 3-4 hundred feet right up the beach on that convergence line. I came home from the beach every day for almost two weeks with at least some gold before the ocean reclaimed its shore line and filled it back in. I was finding so much stuff that I took time off of work just to keep hitting it. I found more rings than you could whip a stick at. Cashed most in when gold was teetering around $1000/oz, which turned out to be premature.
    A few of the ladies rings I found were actually quite nice and my wife scooped those up before the rest went off to the scrapper.

The water temps right now are around 40 degrees, give or take 5 degrees. It also varies a bit depending on whether you're on the north shore or the south shore, as the south shore gets the benefit of the warmer jet stream flow coming up from the south.

I hope to keep adding my hunts, both land and sea, as I go throughout the year.

HH

Johnny

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing. I love to hit the Jersey shore after a storm. I remember the first time I found a huge cut. I couldn't stop digging. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Ocean hunting can be exciting... especially if you find a cut as described above.....Have not done that in a few years...Need to visit my daughter in NC again (she has been coming up here for the last few years).... I have a beach detector that I keep at her house...Cheers, RickO

• Options

@JohnnyCache ....No....that is way, way north of me... up near the Canadian border....It does look interesting though. Cheers, RickO