Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Autograph location and color for trading card

Dgoldfe13Dgoldfe13 Posts: 42
edited February 1, 2020 10:03PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I know this is a silly question but, I am getting this McCaffrey RC signed with his auto and "1,000/1,000 club" inscription. You can see that the card is refracted and has a shine. I have these Staedtler fine tip permanent markers. What color would you use or get another color? Thanks for whatever help.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would go with blue and have him sign between his knee and his name. Be sure to get a similar card of a common that has the same refractor like surface and try out the pen on it. Someone else can chime in, but I think a best practice is to "scuff" it up a bit to make sure it adheres well.

• Options

@maddux69 said:
    I would go with blue and have him sign between his knee and his name. Be sure to get a similar card of a common that has the same refractor like surface and try out the pen on it. Someone else can chime in, but I think a best practice is to "scuff" it up a bit to make sure it adheres well.

Ya, I had someone else comment about a different autograph on a card and they said that these pens are great for refracted surfaces. But, you are right. I will go practice.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree on placement

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

I concur about color and placement...I am not familiar with these specific pens.

Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • Options

I will choose blue or black.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

never black, looks terrible and they can fade to a crummy brown color over time. definitely go with blue.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tend to use either blue or black, depending on the visuals of the card. I think blue would be best in this case. Also, I think that most collectors generally prefer blue, so if you eventually want to sell/trade it down the road, you will likely have an easier time if signed in blue.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Put some baby powder on card surface for 30 seconds, then gently wipe off with tissue.

This works on glossy & shiny cards to prevent autograph from bubbling etc

Works well !
    But for sure whatever method you do.. do a test with your autograph pens to make sure it works on the card.