Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this a real clipped planchet?

Anyone know if this is real or not?

Comments

• MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s real.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to study error-ref.com on all types of clips. There are particular indicators to look for in your coin. Teach a man how to fish. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weakness on the opposite side points to genuine to me.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we please see a picture of the edge of the void? And maybe a closeup of the L of LIBERTY?

At first glance it appears to be genuine. I like the way the rims fall off at where they meet the void. Typical of a genuine clip.

The lack of a Blakesley Effect weakness on the rim opposite the clip is slightly disturbing, but that is possible if this started out as an incomplete clip that went through the upsetting mill intact but then split away prior to the strike.

The thing that bothers me most is the curvature of the void, or the lack thereof. It feels as though it should be more concave. It does happen that planchet metal flows out into the void during a strike, but on a steel planchet this flow would be reduced.

Bottom line, probably genuine, but I want to see the edge and the closeup of the L before I say for sure.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ends of the clip, particularly on the reverse, look strange to me. That being said, I am not a clipped planchet expert and will await the determination by the good CaptHenway.....Cheers, RickO

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2020 2:45PM

http://www.error-ref.com/blanking-and-cutting-errors/

If the below two links don’t work, then scroll down to: “Blanking and Cutting Errors” in this link: http://www.error-ref.com/part-v-planchet-errors/

http://www.error-ref.com/curved_clips/“

http://www.error-ref.com/straight_clips/“

• gonzergonzer Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's 100% real.

• Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Can we please see a picture of the edge of the void? And maybe a closeup of the L of LIBERTY?

At first glance it appears to be genuine. I like the way the rims fall off at where they meet the void. Typical of a genuine clip.

The lack of a Blakesley Effect weakness on the rim opposite the clip is slightly disturbing, but that is possible if this started out as an incomplete clip that went through the upsetting mill intact but then split away prior to the strike.

The thing that bothers me most is the curvature of the void, or the lack thereof. It feels as though it should be more concave. It does happen that planchet metal flows out into the void during a strike, but on a steel planchet this flow would be reduced.

Bottom line, probably genuine, but I want to see the edge and the closeup of the L before I say for sure.

TD

Sorry for the delayed response here is the best picture of the side and L I can get

Sorry about the bad quality.

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks real to me.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks real. Nice find!

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! I got it in a little box lot of coins from an auction for 5$ there was also a 1866 and 69 Indians and some other stuff.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok thanks. I think it’s good.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file