Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Three Photos of the Wayne Miller-Simpson 1879 Morgan J-1611 Pattern Coin

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 1, 2020 2:57PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I ran across this pattern coin with the old TrueView and then found out that it's the plate coin for USPatterns.com and the Wayne Miller book, along with being a Simpson coin now. Here are three photos of this impressive coin.

This is graded PCGS PR68CAM, pop 2/0.

PCGS CoinFacts lists the provenance as:

Wayne Miller Collection - Goldbergs 10/2000:603, $25,300 - American Numismatic Rarities 11/2004:36, $40,000 - Bob R. Simpson Collection

Here's the USPatterns.com description:

This design by Morgan is another attempt to replace the production design whose eagle was described as scrawny among other things.

This design is R-6 in both silver and copper J1616/P1812 with over a dozen of each known. The illustrated example, the Wayne Miller book plate coin, is the finest known and was graded proof 68 by PCGS.

A reverse die trial, in white metal, JA1879-5/P3479 is also known.

Photo courtesy of Ira & Larry Goldberg's Coins & Collectibles.

Old PCGS TrueView

New PCGS TrueView

USPatterns.com - Ira & Larry Goldberg

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do like that Eagle design... a bit more 'heft' to the body....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's amazing that coins from that era have survived w/o acquiring hairlines. Thanks for posting! :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the reverse design.

I need to spend some time studying patterns. Occasionally, I would read the descriptions 25 years when there was one in Bowers ' Rare Coin Review or auction catalogs I used to get and always thought it was an interesting topic. @zoins thanks for posting

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the coin for its differences.
    The pattern seems to have a slightly more forward thinking design. Unapologetically asymmetrical, a bit more life-like than the eagle on decided-on reverse which has more of an allegorical or symbolic look.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. Its always good to see them

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super cool coin!

• Options

I'm with Boiler78 - the toning break on the cheek bothers me......

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    I'm with @Boiler78 - the toning break on the cheek bothers me......

Me too

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    edited February 1, 2020 7:37PM

Can the toning break be fixed with Ricko approval at the same time ;)

Anyone see this in hand? Is the toning break prominent in hand?

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting, I like the eagle that was used for production. The first two shown here have 10 tail feathers, the next pattern has six. I prefer the wings pointed Up and spread out.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2020 9:23PM

There will be people that like and don't like everything.

The chosen design was denigrated by those calling it the "buzzard dollar" while the one posted here was called "scrawny".

Of course, as coin and pattern collectors, we can appreciate them all, though I agree the toning breaks are distracting.

• Options

Great pattern @boiler78 !

I’m a big fan of these Morgan alternative dollars!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is a beautiful design with lovely tone but I can't get past the breaks on the portrait. if were so positioned that I could afford one of these I'd pass on the OP coin and wait for something else, ala boiler. :)

• Options

Man, I've got a hankering to do a pattern set from 1879 - some great coins put out that year!

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Man, I've got a hankering to do a pattern set from 1879 - some great coins put out that year!

You will soon get your chance at a great Washlady Half Dollar!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

That eagle looks like he means business. I also like the font. The production dollar is almost cartoonish with the motto in a very different font than the legend. I had speculated, as a WAG, that Morgan was trying to appeal to Barber, whose patterns employed that or a similar font.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@boiler78 said:
    I actually preferred this J-1613

Nice, but too cluttered on the reverse IMHOP.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

Great 1879 patteerns @Lakesammman !

Quick question. Why are these called the "Schoolgirl" design?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file