Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thank you to the TPG’s for Cert Verification!

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was offered a slabbed coin today. I was a little suspicious but decided the coin was OK. Then checked Cert verification at the last moment and saw that I was wrong. Might have been the first time I ever used the service, and certainly the first time they ever saved my ass. Big coin too!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something I always check.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was the seller's reaction?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, go ahead and give us a hint as to what coin.....LOL

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    AlanLastufkaAlanLastufka Posts: 188 ✭✭✭✭

I use it for any coin over $50. Usually to check auction history/price guide.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

ive used that a few times along the way and am glad I used it as well. good catch to on your part

• Options

@ms70 said:

He didn’t seem fazed in the least. Said it was on consignment to him. Couldn’t tell if he knew or had suspected that the coin was fake. He did say he wasn’t going to continue trying to sell it.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used Cert verification frequently... for various reasons. It is a great resource. I certainly use it when buying slabbed coins...Glad it worked for you Andy...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2020 7:16AM

Depends on the value of the coin(s).... Over ~$1k and I'll typically check, unless it looks suspicious then I'll check lower values too... Of course the cert number(s) could have been faked too but it's still worth checking.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2020 7:29AM

@MrEureka said:

@ms70 said:

He didn’t seem fazed in the least. Said it was on consignment to him. Couldn’t tell if he knew or had suspected that the coin was fake. He did say he wasn’t going to continue trying to sell it.

On consignment? So the offeror was a dealer. Then the odds that he didn't know something wasn't right are zero. The coin will likely continue to be shopped around, in search for a sucker.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2020 7:45AM

@MFeld said:

If someone as knowledgeable as Andy didn’t know the coin was bad, I think it’s unfair to reach that conclusion about an unknown dealer, who might very well have been less knowledgeable.

That wasn't my point regarding the coin. Anybody who represents himself as a dealer knows the game, and the numerous problems with counterfeit coins, counterfeit slabs, etc., and that a slab with PCGS logo can be looked up online nowadays as routine due diligence (particularly since the coin was expensive). I still think the offeror knew there was a problem with that coin.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2020 9:54AM

There are a few mistakes with Cert Numbers. Were you able to confirm to yourself the coin was bad? If not I think I would have contacted PCGS with a picture and inquiry. I had a scare with an 1893-S Dollar in 45 I bought at a show. The Cert number was invalid. I sent a picture in an email to CS and the Cert # was reinstated.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you weren't burned. I always check.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I DO NOT want this to turn in to a CAC bash thread, but it's not a bad idea to verify CAC certs too. It's not impossible to transfer a sticker to a coin that doesn't really have one.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

I figured most fake slabs used legit certs at this point. Although TPGs do deactivate certs if they learn that they slabbed a fake after the fact. Maybe that happened here?

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photos of every coin going forward will be immensely important as the counterfeit nonsense gets worse. Kudos for the measures our hosts are taking to this extent.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

Used it today at a coin show - found out the coin had sold in October for $300 at a Heritage auction. Since it was in the same holder, it obviously didn't upgrade (there was a chance) and I certainly wasn't going to pop $355 for it...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    Used it today at a coin show - found out the coin had sold in October for $300 at a Heritage auction. Since it was in the same holder, it obviously didn't upgrade (there was a chance) and I certainly wasn't going to pop $355 for it...

Depending on the coin $350 could have still been fair. Nice stuff can fall through the cracks.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL! So I guess you expected to buy it for less than $300?

@BStrauss3 said:

• Options

@Sonorandesertrat said:

@MFeld said:

If someone as knowledgeable as Andy didn’t know the coin was bad, I think it’s unfair to reach that conclusion about an unknown dealer, who might very well have been less knowledgeable.

That wasn't my point regarding the coin. Anybody who represents himself as a dealer knows the game, and the numerous problems with counterfeit coins, counterfeit slabs, etc., and that a slab with PCGS logo can be looked up online nowadays as routine due diligence (particularly since the coin was expensive). I still think the offeror knew there was a problem with that coin.

First of all, most dealers don’t Cert verify most of the coins they handle. Most of us only use it when we have some doubts about a coin, which isn’t that often.

Second, in this particular case, the dealer was not from the US and he doesn’t handle a lot of slabs. It’s not surprising that he didn’t verify the slab. That said, I really can’t be sure he was completely innocent.

Andy Lustig

• Options

@BStrauss3 said:

Why not?

Andy Lustig

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:

@BStrauss3 said:

Depending on the coin $350 could have still been fair. Nice stuff can fall through the cracks.

It has a slight crescent of nearly black toning - minus
    There is a hit on the 8 - minus
    Strike is weak - minus but normal for the coin
    The fins on the C are present
    The edges of the diamond are present - major plus

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/38221137
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/three-cent-silver/two-and-three-cents/1853-3cs-ms64-pcgs-pcgs-population-222-223-ngc-census-214-114-ms64-mintage-11-400-000/a/131944-29093.s

-----Burton
  • Options

@MrEureka said:

@BStrauss3 said:

Why not?

Really doesn't fit with my circulated 3cs set; it's not a great example for a grading set.

-----Burton
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:

@MrEureka said:

@BStrauss3 said:

Why not?

Really doesn't fit with my circulated 3cs set; it's not a great example for a grading set.

I guess I misunderstood you the first time. I thought you passed on the coin because it had previously sold for less at auction.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have had a few come into the shop that didn't pass the Cert. Verification test. A good feature that's saved me from the devil and his details.
    Of course the grades AND looks just didn't measure up. That's why I check. Deleted the '89CC photo. Could have used it here as an illustration.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file