edited February 1, 2020 7:43AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

These Tidy House dollars always look so nice

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if they'd slab these in their original cards.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if all those advertised cleaners were infused in the paper prior to putting the Morgan in there... :D;) Looks to me to be more effective than Taco Bell napkins... >:) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2020 10:09AM

I used to have about 5 of those. Great Coins and super cardboard. Never asked if the TPG would grade those or not. The ones I had that I didn't like I sold on the bay. They are nice coins tho!

Ken
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta get one of those for the wife.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I wonder if all those advertised cleaners were infused in the paper prior to putting the Morgan in there... :D;) Looks to me to be more effective than Taco Bell napkins... >:) Cheers, RickO

The owner was a collector and only put in white or dipped coins. The promotion ended over 50 years ago and that is how cardboard was back then. There are past threads going into more detail.

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    rare1rare1 Posts: 47 ✭✭

I have a couple dozen of these some with original envelopes and order forms

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:

There is now a precedent for slabbing coin and documentation separately (Enhanced Advanced Deluxe Executive Reverse Proof ASEs), but the problem would be proving that the coin actually came with the card unless the original packaging was sealed as shown on the card with the two halves above.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2020 10:06AM

@davewesen said:

@ricko said:

The owner was a collector and only put in white or dipped coins. The promotion ended over 50 years ago and that is how cardboard was back then. There are past threads going into more detail.

That is NOT entirely true. Bob told me the only coins he dipped were from a mint sealed bag that were toned out. So, he had a chemist in California "fix" them. He also told me it was his ONLY regret, as the majority did not need "fixing".

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@Outhaul said:

There is now a precedent for slabbing coin and documentation separately (Enhanced Advanced Deluxe Executive Reverse Proof ASEs), but the problem would be proving that the coin actually came with the card unless the original packaging was sealed as shown on the card with the two halves above.

The sleeve that the two-half set is in is merely a page protector that I cut down to store the coin set in. I don't know what type of packaging Tidy House originally used.

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not so Tidy but not as widely distributed:

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Belated R.I.P. to Bob Osterholm. He must have been a nice guy.

I like the name "Shina Dish" a lot.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2020 4:44PM

Welcome @JohnOst ! It's always nice when someone who is part of (or is related to) a bit of numismatic history stops by. I love my Tidy House dollar. Your father was an advertising genius. He sounds like one of those rare people who you wish you had known all your life.

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file