Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Stack's auction win from NYINC arrived today.

This was the impulse buy of the week, and maybe the year. My train left before lot pick up and really NY tax is atrocious (though I paid for S&H and refuse to do the math to see which was 'smarter').

Only a few ancients in my collection, and mostly those with a tie to Albanian coin designs. This one was a random coin I looked at in lot viewing. It was pretty remarkable and I accidentally (not) bid on it during the live auction while sitting in the room (but on the app) just because it looked so nice in hand.

It's in a star slab and looks it. I tried to get the look right, but really, it's just superb. There is a little slab artifact and really is nicer than the photo implies. Plus I can't photo stack and getting the depth of field is beyond my set up for something like this.

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice impulse buy! Too bad about its provenance though. LOL. (j/k)

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful example!

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2020 11:51AM

It's weird - I scroll many auctions each week. And lately, just on occasion, I've been looking at ancients. And what I am looking for is exactly like the coin you bought!! A classic motif, strong strike and fantastic color! Your pictures are very good but I bet its a knockout in hand.

Great purchase - impulse or not.

Edited to add: Should have known it had a Zohar provenance!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

B)

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler said:

For those who didn't know, it was part of Zohar's consignment. I really had no intention of buying this particular coin, but was doing lot viewing with the Stacks auction and was looking at another in the box. But I pulled it out too and it was really just so impressive and got stuck in my head.

So, sitting in the live auction I just threw down a bid expecting it to quickly get left in the dust. When it didn't I was absolutely shocked given how cool it is in hand.

This is why lot viewing is very helpful. There was one coin I would have maybe bought based on the catalog but in hand was meh (and found one for that series I liked better). This one was one I would have never thought to bid on, but it had the look that was of the sort if I didn't buy it I'd kick myself for a very long, long time.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork said:

@EVillageProwler said:

For those who didn't know, it was part of Zohar's consignment. I really had no intention of buying this particular coin, but was doing lot viewing with the Stacks auction and was looking at another in the box. But I pulled it out too and it was really just so impressive and got stuck in my head.

So, sitting in the live auction I just threw down a bid expecting it to quickly get left in the dust. When it didn't I was absolutely shocked given how cool it is in hand.

This is why lot viewing is very helpful. There was one coin I would have maybe bought based on the catalog but in hand was meh (and found one for that series I liked better). This one was one I would have never thought to bid on, but it had the look that was of the sort if I didn't buy it I'd kick myself for a very long, long time.

Totally agree. I’ve ruled out so many potential bids in lot viewing. And probably added an equal number that weren’t on my radar.

An agent is absolutely useful, but nothing beats personal lot viewing.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just beautiful. It has great detail obverse and reverse and I like the lovely blue iridescent toning.
    WTG.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can think of worse impulsive buys.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭✭