Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone know why there are two coins shows in the same venue in the same month? (Tinley Park, IL)

U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 30, 2020 6:07PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Last year I saw ads for a new coin show coming to Tinley Park, Illinois in 2020. There was some mention that there was demand in this area. That made sense. Now I noticed that a second show will be in the same venue two weeks after the first. That show used to be in a different location (St. Charles, IL). Anyone know the reasoning? It seems odd to hold shows two weeks apart in the exact same area.

Show 1 (new one?)....Feb 13, 2020 - Feb 15, 2020:
http://www.coinzip.com/Mid-America-Coin-Show

Show 2 (moved one?)....Feb 13, 2020 - Feb 15, 2020:
http://www.coinzip.com/Chicago-Coin-Currency-Collectible-Show

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

One group cannot get another location.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    One group cannot get another location.

Sounds plausible. It would seem best to just not hold one of the two or look for a different month (both of these shows also have a summer version and at least those are a month apart).

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020 7:45PM

Like the late Michael Jackson used to sing, "I'll be There." Looking forward to both!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020 8:14PM

I believe that one group used the Tinley Park Convention facility for several years, and then went to St. Charles, and now seems to be returning to Tinley Park. The second show organizer is unknown to me. It's been at least four or five years since I have been up there. The facility is nice, last that I knew. For downstaters, it saves mileage and tolls.

One of the last times that I was there, somebody had the largest grouping of problem slabbed coins that I have ever seen. The problem coin group covered eight tables and the slabs were three or four deep. I did not look very hard! This was several years ago and I do not mean to suggest that those would be back again - too long since I last went to that show site.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Feb 13,14,15 is Mid America. Feb 27,28,29 is Greater Chicago Coin and Currency. They are not the same groups as best as I can see.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    Feb 13,14,15 is Mid America. Feb 27,28,29 is Greater Chicago Coin and Currency. They are not the same groups as best as I can see.

I know it's two different groups running the shows. My comment was more about the venue being the same and the shows been really close to each other (two weeks apart). If I was running one of the shows, I wouldn't be too happy with another one being in the same location with so little time in between (it would be better if there was more time in between the two or if one was in a different location).

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    I believe that one group used the Tinley Park Convention facility for several years, and then went to St. Charles, and now seems to be returning to Tinley Park. The second show organizer is unknown to me. It's been at least four or five years since I have been up there. The facility is nice, last that I knew. For downstaters, it saves mileage and tolls.

One of the last times that I was there, somebody had the largest grouping of problem slabbed coins that I have ever seen. The problem coin group covered eight tables and the slabs were three or four deep. I did not look very hard! This was several years ago and I do not mean to suggest that those would be back again - too long since I last went to that show site.

One is the St. Charles people. I went several times to St. Charles as it was more convenient for me (coming from the north part of IL). Tinley Park is more of a hassle (last time I went the traffic was particularly bad). I believe it is nice to have a show there, but having two seems like overkill and it would be nicer to have one of the two be elsewhere (I guess there is always Central States in Schaumburg in April).

As for the multiple tables of problem slabs, I haven't seen that much. However, there are a few dealers that I've seen that have a large selection of problem coins (raw and slabbed) and not surprisingly those coins keep sitting in their inventory every show.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2020 9:48AM

The promoter who is putting on the second show is most likely piggy-backing off the success of the first show. It's always a loser for the dealers and customers alike at the second show. It is a very common practice.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a fantastic problem to have.. two shows a couple weeks apart... :o How I wish I had that problem... <3 I could definitely deal with that issue and never complain. Please provide show reports for the under privileged forum members... :) Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    What a fantastic problem to have.. two shows a couple weeks apart... :o How I wish I had that problem... <3 I could definitely deal with that issue and never complain. Please provide show reports for the under privileged forum members... :) Cheers, RickO

For those that are close, it’s perfect. To those that are too far, it’s not ideal. For example, I’m unlikely to attend either since it’s not close and I’m expecting both shows to be relatively weak. Also, I’m guessing dealer attendance might not be as strong since some will set up at only one of the two and thus each show will be weaker than it could be if there was one bigger show (or two different locations).

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a dealer directory for both shows? Maybe there will be enough difference in dealer attendance to warrant a visit to one or both shows, depending on the type of coins one is looking for.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Is there a dealer directory for both shows? Maybe there will be enough difference in dealer attendance to warrant a visit to one or both shows, depending on the type of coins one is looking for.

I found a list of dealers for one show but not the other (that list features a lot of people that are at most local shows).

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it’s a lot of the same vendors, you can resolve your not buying something regret in a couple of weeks time.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

In the 4 February 2020 issue of Numismatic News (recieved today 3 February) the two Tinley Park Shows are still shown, but both now appear to be under the same management (Paicz and Paunicka). Those are the two fellows that are well-known and experienced.

Of course, the newspaper could make a mistake, but hopefully not.

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    In the 4 February 2020 issue of Numismatic News (recieved today 3 February) the two Tinley Park Shows are still shown, but both now appear to be under the same management (Paicz and Paunicka). Those are the two fellows that are well-known and experienced.

Makes it even more odd that the same management would hold two shows so close together.

• Options

@U1chicago said:

@BillDugan1959 said:

Makes it even more odd that the same management would hold two shows so close together.

I doubt that it started out that way - perhaps the team that seems to be more experienced bought the other guy out. Perhaps NN is wrong, but they are pretty good at their business too. Perhaps you could cancel one of the shows, but sometimes you lose less going through the motions than if you didn't.

• Options
    dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2020 1:53PM

I will be putting my two cents on this issue. The reason for the two shows, from my understanding, is that the parties involved had a falling out over stuff. What it is I cannot say openly here. Keep in mind that this is one side of the story, but due to the rules of the forum and due to potential legal issues I can't go further on this.

DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • Options

@dorancoins said:
    I will be putting my two cents on this issue. The reason for the two shows, from my understanding, is that the parties involved had a falling out over stuff. What it is I cannot say openly here. Keep in mind that this is one side of the story, but due to the rules of the forum and due to potential legal issues I can't go further on this.

That seems to make more sense.

Are you planning on attending both shows or just the one in your signature line?

• Options
    dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

@dorancoins said:

That seems to make more sense.

Are you planning on attending both shows or just the one in your signature line?

U1chicago - just the one on my signature line. Whatever shows I have in my signature line will give you an idea of where I will be set up. You may find the complete list at my website at http://www.dorancoins.net. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me or e-mail at info@dorancoins.net. Thanks.

DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file