Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What constitutes a "cull" coin?

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 30, 2020 5:01PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was taken aback by a grader's characterization of a certain impaired coin as a "cull" and therefore not worth much. What would lead you to call a coin a "cull"? Does it even apply to better date coins?

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Melt value only.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Melt value only.

What if a cull (holed and seriously damaged) Brasher Doubloon were discovered? Would it only be worth melt?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020 5:18PM

@PerryHall said:

@Smudge said:
    Melt value only.

What if a cull (holed and seriously damaged) Brasher Doubloon were discovered? Would it only be worth melt?

Wouldn’t call that a cull. Edit rare coin damaged. I see cull as like junk silver.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calling Justice Potter Stewart!!! Calling Justice Potter Stewart!!!

Yes, a better date can be a cull if it is a cull. You often see really low-end Morgans, better dates and mintmarks, that practically nobody wants.

The cull Brasher Doubloon would get sold, of course. The buyer might be somebody who already owned a decent one, who would destroy the cull to help insure the value of his or her piece.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:

@PerryHall said:

@Smudge said:
    Melt value only.

Wouldn’t call that a cull.

We need to first define what a cull is. I always thought a cull was any coin that was seriously damaged to the point that it would be worth less than a Poor-1 coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to use the word cull to mean a reject. But that's just me. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, one of the definitions of the term cull is:

reduce the population of (a wild animal) by selective slaughter

which would lead me to the conclusion that a cull coin is one that's been designated for melting (or possibly, sale as junk metal).

• Options
    ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

A coin just worth its precious metal content and with zero numismatic value. Such as a cull Morgan. I have never heard of a non-precious metal coin referred to as a cull... such as a cull Indian Head Cent.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ilmcoins said:
    A coin just worth its precious metal content and with zero numismatic value. Such as a cull Morgan. I have never heard of a non-precious metal coin referred to as a cull... such as a cull Indian Head Cent.

Where have you been? Any type of coin can be a "cull?"

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me a cull coin is anything that is severely damaged like a hole, or a low ball coin that grades 3 or lower.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a back room with a pretty fair amount of low end coin stuff piled up in it. Of the Indian Head Cents back there, there are at least two rolls of "culls". Some of those are in the early 1870s. The room has a bunch of low denomination base metal culls. Culls culls culls. One of the banes of Numismatics.

• Options
    CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

I see bags of Morgans from APMEX, lol

• Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Searching for Morgans, I'm amazed at how many slightly better dates/mints examples that are out there in HORRIBLE condition - damage/bad cleanings etc. Apparently, they're worth more than melt, but a strong drive up in silver might do wonders for clearing out some of this horrible inventory that people are stuck with and has no business in any collection...

Cull=a coin you should just put out of its misery...

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scotty1419 said:
    Apparently, they're worth more than melt, but a strong drive up in silver might do wonders for clearing out some of this horrible inventory that people are stuck with and has no business in any collection...

Cull=a coin you should just put out of its misery...

I agree!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it were not for culls, some collectors would not have a collection. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ironically, 127 Lincoln Cents, Wheaties, earned that title, and were rewarded with a Viking Funeral yesterday. I took some scrap copper to the recycler, and 127 bent, damaged, gob smacked Lincolns went along, on the way to being reincarnated. To ensure they do not escape, they are dumped in a copper radiator, and the top smashed down.

1952-D was the most common date.

There were also some foreigns that joined them in the copper group, and a lot more in the brass group.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mustangmanbob said:
    Ironically, 127 Lincoln Cents, Wheaties, earned that title, and were rewarded with a Viking Funeral yesterday. I took some scrap copper to the recycler, and 127 bent, damaged, gob smacked Lincolns went along, on the way to being reincarnated. To ensure they do not escape, they are dumped in a copper radiator, and the top smashed down.

1952-D was the most common date.

There were also some foreigns that joined them in the copper group, and a lot more in the brass group.

I thought it was illegal to melt down copper pennies for their copper content

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file