Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1918/7-s Quarter in old collection just graded

I was expecting a higher grade. What do you think? Regrade, or just send to CAC?

https://images.pcgs.com/TrueView/38583947_max.jpg

Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
Cashback from Mr. Rebates

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020 3:19PM

Post the grade so us lazy people don't have to look it up.

Edit: Now that I looked it up, it happened to be exactly the grade I expected. Why risk losing this beauty in the mail trying for a better grade or a sticker?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess VF30, shot at 35. Nice coin. Fantastic date. :)

Of course send it to CAC.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice quarter with a readable date. I like :)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my series, but the grade looks reasonable to me. How much more would it be worth as a 35?

Cool overdate, in any case.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my series either.
    Awesome coin.

I see it's VF30 and like it there.
    I say leave it as is and let the next owner dream of the upgrade.
    Although I see the price guide increase for a 35 is negligible.

30 + bean > 35 + no bean

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Correctly graded by current standards. Nice looking coin.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

tx

Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice problem free VF.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the 30 - if CAC thinks it is higher, there is always the golden sticker of fame.......

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin would suit me just fine.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to say VF35. Nice looking coin with "honest wear."

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    bcdeluxebcdeluxe Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

I would have guessed VF as well. Unless the coin is a 27-S, which is notoriously poorly struck, the outer shield line (red arrow) needs full definition from the gown to get to XF, and the inner line (blue) needs to be complete as well. This doesn't make it. That said, this is a very nice coin for the grade, and one I'd be happy to own.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely original VF. Just a good old great example.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@bcdeluxe said:
    I would have guessed VF as well. Unless the coin is a 27-S, which is notoriously poorly struck, the outer shield line (red arrow) needs full definition from the gown to get to XF, and the inner line (blue) needs to be complete as well. This doesn't make it. That said, this is a very nice coin for the grade, and one I'd be happy to own.

Back in the Photograde days a Fine was supposed to have an intact outer shield line. Now it's XF?

• Options

@koynekwest said:

@bcdeluxe said:

Back in the Photograde days a Fine was supposed to have an intact outer shield line. Now it's XF?

Probably doesn't get penalized for striking weakness as opposed to wear.

• Options
    CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

Looks VF35 to me, shot XF40. Yours have more details than the pictured one.

Unless your planning on selling it, I'd keep it as is and maybe send it to CAC.

• Options

And that could very well be striking weakness.

• Options

Great looking coin regardless!! Nice strong date, i do agree it could have gone higher especially when you look at the amout of wear on, or not on, the knee and leg. No doubt SLQ's are tough grade as strike somewhat varaible. We all know if that was most raw dealers cetainly would have called more, many, much more!!

Again, fantastic looking coin,amd color and date, congrats on owning her!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice old SLQ....I think the grade is appropriate....If you are concerned about selling it, then a green bean would enhance the value.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd send it to CAC just to see. Before I saw the posted grade I assumed VF35 myself. Can't hurt to try if you have an account with CAC. If not, there are plenty here who can help.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    I'd send it to CAC just to see. Before I saw the posted grade I assumed VF35 myself. Can't hurt to try if you have an account with CAC. If not, there are plenty here who can help.

Then that would remove the "Haven't submitted" option from a future sale.
    I don't like that.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps I am in the minority ... but based on the TrueView, the coin looks cleaned but market acceptable. The coin should not CAC, but it may simply because it is a key coin. I agree with @topstuf that submitting to CAC removed the "haven't submitted" option which can be an enticement during a sale.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@astrorat said:
    Perhaps I am in the minority ... but based on the TrueView, the coin looks cleaned but market acceptable. The coin should not CAC, but it may simply because it is a key coin. I agree with @topstuf that submitting to CAC removed the "haven't submitted" option which can be an enticement during a sale.

Looks like it's been lightly dipped if that makes sense. It may be the pics but the surfaces don't look like they're entirely original. How important are original surfaces to CAC?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@astrorat said:

Looks like it's been lightly dipped if that makes sense. It may be the pics but the surfaces don't look like they're entirely original. How important are original surfaces to CAC?

Now that's a good question................

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

@PerryHall said:

@astrorat said:

I dunno, but there are tons of dipped silver dollars with beans out there.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@astrorat said:

Very nice SLQ overdate but agree this one has had a bit more cleaning than the slab may suggest. I would be happy with the grade as is.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file