Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I received grades and images for a raw purchase, a rainbow toned 1880-O Morgan, a tough date in MS.

DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 30, 2020 3:12PM in U.S. Coin Forum

When I saw this I knew I had to have it! You just do not see many 1880-O's that look like this at all. It graded MS64. I do believe it deserves a plus, so it will eventually go back in for reconsideration. In the interim, it will fit nicely in with my collection of toned Morgans.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Comments

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice toning! I think MS64 is a pretty fair grade for that coin, personally.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020 3:25PM

I would think a + would be in order as well. But I haven’t submitted during the era of + yet so I’m not familiar with their idiosyncrasies.

I’d leave it as is, though.

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. Love that tone!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin is absolutely gorgeous and based on the image, I would have guessed MS64+.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep her away from the dippers! She’s a beauty just as she sits. Nice raw pickup.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

Thank you, all. She'll never get dipped, ever, if I have anything to say about it.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty color (unusual for an 1880-o).
    The obverse looks like it could go MS-65.
    The reverse holds it back (a little).

• Options

@dcarr said:
    Pretty color (unusual for an 1880-o).
    The obverse looks like it could go MS-65.
    The reverse holds it back (a little).

The strike is too weak for a 65. But it has the look of a 5. Hence, my thinking/hoping it would grade 64+.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice coin, plus or no plus. Congrats!

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats a beauty, too bad they put the lions share of the light on the untoned portion of the coin.

I think "rare in MS grades above MS62" might be a bit more appropriate. To nitpick. ;)

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice rainbow toned Morgan.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

@clarkbar04 said:
    Thats a beauty, too bad they put the lions share of the light on the untoned portion of the coin.

I think "rare in MS grades above MS62" might be a bit more appropriate. To nitpick. ;)

You would be correct, rare in 62 or higher, as well as rare with any kind of nice color. I was browsing Heritage's archives this morning and WOW, there are some mediocre toners going for crazy money on this date.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice score :)

• Options

The strike is a bit soft. I could see a + for sure. Nice pickup!

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great color for the date.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

Toning alone probably won't warrant a + grade if the luster isn't also blazing.

peacockcoins

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The grade (64) looks right to me....could go + of course...However, I do not see a 65 there. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2020 7:39AM

This is a special coin. I’ve never seen an 80-O toned like this. Also, they are very tough on this date/MM. even getting one in 64 is a win. A plus would triple the value so there’s obviously plenty of incentive to try.

• Options

@david3142 said:
    This is a special coin. I’ve never seen an 80-O toned like this. Also, they are very tough on this date/MM. even getting one in 64 is a win. A plus would triple the value so there’s obviously plenty of incentive to try.

I have been actively searching since I acquired this one and also have not been able to find another one toned like this with a similar pattern. It does look like a bag toner, it has a lot of the hallmarks of one, which would imply there should be more out there. However I simply cannot find more than one or two other examples that say "crescent bag toner" to me.

It is a very peculiar coin for the date/mint which makes me feel very blessed to own it.

• Options

Figured I would bump this. I am sending this in for reconsideration soon. :)

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck on the +!

• Options

Woww, worthy of the +
    Nice coin

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking example and a cool date for New Orleans!

• Options
    coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭

excellent taste. sir. agree it should have a +

BT&C
  • Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking piece a nice solid 64. A harder date 2 find with color 100%

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file