Home U.S. Coin Forum

Starting an Uncirculated Washington Quarter Dansco 7140 album

I think it will look great when done. Not sure how I’ll address 32 D and S. Cross that bridge as I find the best path. Pulled the ‘44, ‘64 and ‘64 D from my grandads album.

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have fun!

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be aware of some of the outstanding doubled dies that can be found in this series. Images can be found here-http://varietyvista.com/index.htm

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Have fun!

Thanks!

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

WQs are my first love in numismatics and I built a complete set in a blue Whitman Classic holder and another set in a pair of blue Capitol Plastics holders. Both sets were untoned and Ch MS ('32-D and 32-S) through superb MS (everything else) and both were sold many years ago.

This is a really fun set to build with many coins that can be readily and quite affordably found while still having a handful of buggers who are more expensive and/or more difficult to find with terrific eye appeal. If you study many coins in this set you will see how the strike changes over the years as does the actual design in the dies.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget the 36 D .... enjoy

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoy!
    I slowly plod along on a circulated 32-64 album and enjoy it.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is an image of my 1934 doubled die. This one is well known and is an example of one of the better examples of the d dies that exist in this series.

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting Washingtons is a LOT of fun. Remember, you can take it at your own speed. There's basically nothing particularly expensive in the 1940 - 1964 run of Washies (well, the 1940 D is a little pricey). You can complete this group first, and get a feel for strike, luster, toning etc. before you start going on to the more expensive 1930's issues. In fact, you don't even have to go on to the 1930's, as the 1940 - 1964 group looks really nice just by itself.

Remember, the single most important thing to do is just HAVE FUN!!!

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun set to put together.
    Always keep an eye out for the 32 D and S and snag them when the opportunity knocks.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    Be aware of some of the outstanding doubled dies that can be found in this series. Images can be found here-http://varietyvista.com/index.htm

Yes, good advise! Many DD's

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020 9:25PM

@SkyMan said:

... Remember, the single most important thing to do is just HAVE FUN!!!
    Hey! That's my line to all the new members. LOL :D

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020 9:55PM

My Dansco set is hung-up on the 1935-D and the 1940-D. Why can't I find something I like in the last two?

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had great fun completing the set and every now and then I may upgrade what i think is the weakest in the group. The Dansco that I use goes from 1932 to 1998 so it's got a bit of heft to it.

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020 1:31AM

Danscos are so fun and with blank pages you can collect however you want. They also lend to some nice toning!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Fun to find this. I actually just started the same thing recently when I realized I had about 30 pieces of 50s-80s gem examples just laying around.

I've been getting tired of the much slower process on my Morgan set, and it's been nice having a project that is quite a bit easier for once. Hit a show this weekend to fill many of the holes. Some of the 50s-60s dates, I picked up for a couple dollars over spot.

Good luck!

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020 5:03AM

Back when they first announced the States quarters series I thought that collectors of that series would grow tired of waiting for each new issue and look elsewhere.

So, I grabbed a Dansco, and put together the silver set in unc, except for the '32 D & S plus the '36D - which I got all in AU or AU+.
    Then I added the rest of the clad & silver [proofs].
    It was a fun set to complete.

When I was doing it dealers asked me why I was bothering, since the set was not at all popular.

I have done very well with that set.

Frank

BHNC #203

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a great series to collect. Has some interesting DD's.... old silver is always fun.. and mostly reasonable prices. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020 7:28AM

@Hydrant said:
    My Dansco set is hung-up on the 1935-D and the 1940-D. Why can't I find something I like in the last two?

The 40D in nice shape is a sleeper in this set.
    I looked long and hard for one I liked. But keep looking.
    I found this luster bomb in one of our hosts 65 slabs after a lot of looking.

Edited to add.
    I found this coin raw and submitted it myself to PCGS.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun series. 32-64 Silver Washies includes birth dates of many on this forum. I gave up on the clads. Collected the 30's in slabs, 40's-60's raw. Good luck!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

have fun with that and the best of everything on it

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:
    Back when they first announced the States quarters series I thought that collectors of that series would grow tired of waiting for each new issue and look elsewhere.

So, I grabbed a Dansco, and put together the silver set in unc, except for the '32 D & S plus the '36D - which I got all in AU or AU+.

When I was doing it dealers asked me why I was bothering, since the set was not at all popular.

I did the same, but with no intention of actually building the set.
    Rather I focused on acquiring mm issues from the '30s and 40's when
    I could find nice raw ones in AU/MS priced right, for speculation purposes.
    Most of these have long since been dispersed to set builders.
    My 40D in AU55 was actually just sold last week. I had a blazing light toned easy
    64 (raw) that went to a forum member some years back.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:

@Treashunt said:

I did the same, but with no intention of actually building the set.
    Rather I focused on acquiring mm issues from the '30s and 40's when
    I could find nice raw ones in AU/MS priced right, for speculation purposes.
    Most of these have long since been dispersed to set builders.
    My 40D in AU55 was actually just sold last week. I had a blazing light toned easy
    64 (raw) that went to a forum member some years back.

Funny, I just looked at my notes and remembered that all uncs I just logged as Unc [MS 60] or some as MS 63, I'm not sure how high they would grade,

The others just VF-XF unless they were the keys, then I logged 'real' grades

Frank

BHNC #203

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny, I just looked at my notes and remembered that all uncs I just logged as Unc [MS 60] or some as MS 63, I'm not sure how high they would grade,

Some of the older coin club members (I was a young whipper snapper back then) were very 'old school' graders, and coins were either Unc or they weren't....and in many cases, they weren't 'Unc' unless they were blazing gems.
    The would put coins in the club auctions, etc with low starting bids and let the chips fall....

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file