Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1995-D Doubled Die Lincoln Cent, Struck Intentionally?

According to coin dealer Chuck Wishon Sr., he and longtime numismatic expert J.T Stanton visited the Denver Mint sometime in 1996, where an employee showed them examples of a 1995-D Double Die Lincoln Cent. The United States Mint employee told them the doubled dies he showed them were intentionally struck in order to educate mint employees on what a doubled die coin looked like.

At PCGS, we have graded a total of 70 different 1995-D Doubled Die Lincoln Cents in all grades combined. Compare this to the total number of coins we have graded for the 1995-P Doubled Die Lincoln Cent, a figure that currently stands at 11,952.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/1995-D-doubled-die-lincoln-cent-struck-intentionally

Want our top articles delivered to your e-mail inbox bi-weekly? Join our e-newsletter here: https://www.pcgs.com/newsletter

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one of these! Nice for them to get some press, they are very difficult to locate.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why in the world would the Denver mint have to intentionally strike this variety when they had a great example of a doubled die already struck in Philadelphia same year that they could easily obtain? This doesnt pass the sniff test.
    And how are these found in circulation if they were intentionally struck to educate mint workers? And why make it a minor ddo if education is your goal.
    Not buying it

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020 12:30PM

I remember buying a mint bag for almost 2x cost... what were they $100?

Nearly went blind looking for those damn things.

Cured me of ever buying wheat cents in bulk.

Still want one of those DDO's

Very cool variety and tough coin to locate.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020 12:40PM

What? I always knew there was a DD for the 95D, but I thought the doubling were in the same areas as the famous brother(95P). Now I have to rediscover all the 95D's I let go. Thanks for the heads up! ;)
    Oh, and to answer your question; No. I don't believe the Mint purposely struck the DD 95d.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

One more to add to the list of cents (in my hoard) that need to be examined when we get a big snowstorm... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe someone can help me out here. (May be that I don't have an understanding of CURRENT mint procedures).

Did the Denver mint make their own dies in 1995? Historically, (many years previous to 1995, anyway), all dies were made in Philly, and shipped to the branch mints.

(I'm guessing that has changed, or someone more knowledgeable than me would have already objected).

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't buy it.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    I don't buy it.

So................intentionally struck as a learning tool? Then instead of destroying them they get released into circulation?

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:
    Maybe someone can help me out here. (May be that I don't have an understanding of CURRENT mint procedures).

Did the Denver mint make their own dies in 1995? Historically, (many years previous to 1995, anyway), all dies were made in Philly, and shipped to the branch mints.

(I'm guessing that has changed, or someone more knowledgeable than me would have already objected).

I’m with you bud. I thought that Philly made all dies and shipped to branch mints.
    Hmmm, I must be way out of touch.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would a Mint worker need to know that? The person who needs to recognize the "accidental" doubling is the person who inspects the dies before passing them to production.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Why in the world would the Denver mint have to intentionally strike this variety when they had a great example of a doubled die already struck in Philadelphia same year that they could easily obtain? This doesnt pass the sniff test.
    And how are these found in circulation if they were intentionally struck to educate mint workers? And why make it a minor ddo if education is your goal.
    Not buying it

If the P coins are accidental varieties, the Mint wouldn't yet have known they had such a coin at the other Mint until they were found in the wild. Once found in the wild, they aren't available to the Mint.

More to the point: who are they trying to educate that needed to see a struck coin? The dies should be inspected prior to striking for errors such as doubling. Once in production, they should only be deciding when to retire the die.

• Options

Is that a scratch or a strike-thru going from his cheek all the way to the back of his head?

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file