Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If PCGS slabs are being made in China, they should stop buying them until the all clear is sounded.

RealoneRealone Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just slabbed a number of items, but PCGS should make sure these weren't just made and shipped to PCGS out of conservatism.

Comments

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure I follow? Keep in mind 95% of everything you own and currently purchase was more than likely manufactured in China. Semper Fi!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    oldUScoinsoldUScoins Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

You can google this topic. Seems like the Coronavirus strains can survive on stainless steel 5-28 days depending on humidity and various factors. Recent cdc reports that it is very very low risk of products from China carrying the virus.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

More people were born yesterday than died from the corona virus. It's the end of the world. Think I'll go drink a corona.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

@privatecoin said:
    More people were born yesterday than died from the corona virus. It's the end of the world. Think I'll go drink a corona.

A nice cold one, That'll kill the virus!

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

The effect on the supply chain from China is yet to be fully revealed. While the fear of viral infection has subsided (for now) economic impact is still in a dormant stage. As more infection figures are made public, public fear will reach new levels and we have seen in the past week just what fear can do to markets. I suspect it ain't over.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privatecoin said:

More people were born in Wisconsin yesterday than have died worldwide from the coronovirus since it started.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2020 11:09PM

Never mind...being silly.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume it is months between manufacture and arrival. I assume the slabs aren't airlifted to PCGS headquarters but rather shipped on a "slow boat grom China" to paraphrase an old expression.

But it still makes you think about what can be transferred through commerce.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 5 orders in submissions sitting in QA for 2 weeks driving me crazy waiting for grades to be posted and labels confirmed. Maybe they put them into Quarantine Assurance, instead of Quality Assurance? ;)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do we know for a fact that PCGS has their slabs made in China? I'd be concerned that the Chinese could make midnight runs for other customers.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020 9:10AM

@PerryHall said:
    Do we know for a fact that PCGS has their slabs made in China? I'd be concerned that the Chinese could make midnight runs for other customers.

Probably not “could” but “would”. I think, though, the more likely thing is that the raw plastic pellets used in the molding process is imported from there. I’d imagine the actual molding process is done at their facility here.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost thought this was another "Coinstartled" thread. Frankly, I'm more worried about the unicorns eating up and stomping all over my spring garden.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Almost thought this was another "Coinstartled" thread. Frankly, I'm more worried about the unicorns eating up and stomping all over my spring garden.

Sounds like frosted lucky charms to me...

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you get the coronavirus from handling a plastic slab made in China, it is YOUR TIME to go.

And to all the people who I HOPE are kidding with the number of births arguments:

There were 3.79 million live births in the U.S. last year. There were 480,000 deaths from smoking and smoking-related illnesses. So smoking isn't dangerous?

The issue isn't the likelihood of infection, it is the likelihood of death after infection. The normal flu has a 0.1% mortality rate The coronavirus mortality rate appears to be somewhere between 20 and 50 times that. While there is no reason to panic, there is reason to take precautions.

This discussion has been closed.