Home U.S. Coin Forum

Morgan silver dollar value?

shark669shark669 Posts: 19
edited January 29, 2020 9:04AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi all
I inherited bunch of Morgan silver dollar (45 of them)
Someone suggested to submit the images here for evaluating, I hope its OK because the images are huge.
I would like your help guys if you can tell me only if you see one that is a key date or exceptionally for some reason
Thank you!!!

**UPDATE **
I had a mix-up on my computer, and some of pictures of the front of the coins doesn't match the back of the coins,
I will fix this and resubmit , I am very sorry about this!!! and i really appreciate your help!!!

Tagged:

Comments

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you say evaluate do you mean condition or value? Value is based on condition, among other things. DO NOT CLEAN THEM. Most appear in uncirculated condition that would straight grade. Some appear to be cleaned and in lower circulated grades.

Many happy BST transactions
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pics!

• @Jimnight said:
    Nice pics!

Thank you, it was not easy to snap and connect them together :neutral:

• @cheezhed said:
    When you say evaluate do you mean condition or value? Value is based on condition, among other things. DO NOT CLEAN THEM. Most appear in uncirculated condition that would straight grade. Some appear to be cleaned and in lower circulated grades.

I mean, I don't want to sell them on CL and then discover one of them was super rare and I could have been in the Bahamas but missed it

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look up an AU 55 or choice value for that date I believe that’s a common date so it’s probably since it’s raw about $20 if you’re lucky but I’ll let other people chime in on that

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

Here is MS61 holders priced.
    Download the PCGS app and you can find what you need. Also post questions under category questions and you will get better feedback

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

edited January 28, 2020 3:45PM

download the PCGS apps and presto. All you fact figures links and other. Uncleanded MS coins raw cut price in half for anything not certified.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to check the 1886 and 1887 for well known VAM's

1886 VAM 20 is a big one (I tried to look but dont see them in your group)
    1887 has a few...

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears that there are two 1884-s dollars that are uncirculated. If that is the case, those are the winners. I suspect you have the pics mixed up.

Hope they are there.

bob :)
    5 figures +

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that a 1884 S? :o

Ken
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    It appears that there are two 1884-s dollars that are uncirculated. If that is the case, those are the winners. I suspect you have the pics mixed up.

Hope they are there.

bob :)
    5 figures +

I was going to say this as well. Hopefully you did not mix up the reverse pics.

Trade $'s
  • ColonelKlinckColonelKlinck Posts: 371 ✭✭✭

If your 1884 dated coins have the "S" mint mark rather than the "O" you can pack your bags for the Bahamas.

• I was going to say this as well. Hopefully you did not mix up the reverse pics.

Its possible! I did it on my pc and its possible, i will double check.

Double check.

Ken
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shark669 said:

@cheezhed said:

I mean, I don't want to sell them on CL and then discover one of them was super rare and I could have been in the Bahamas but missed it

You are very smart to post them here to make sure you don't miss one that is super rare. Personally, I would not sell those coins on Craigslist.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the CU forums @shark669.

For a very rough estimate of prices: https://www.pcgs.com/prices/us

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that 84 does have an S on the back please handle it very carefully.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please update if you have 1884 S. You can throw the rest away if you do.

Many happy BST transactions

Don't throw them away! Sell them to me! :)

Ken
  • mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did I see two 84-SMorgans? Hope your pictures are correct.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice morgans, DUDE! Some of those 81s's look nice too! Almost cameo :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020 1:47AM

There are several that would do well for submitting, I would have to see better pictures, what you have is some very nice Morgan Dollars, if there is an 84-s your in for some nice change. Otherwise get some referrals on who to take them to in your area.

You said you have 45 of these, are there possibly others that you didn't picture, maybe other types, half dollars, even old nickels and dimes, they all worth checking. Even if others are worn down some you may have a key that brings big money in any condition.

Wherever you take these plan on taking them to a couple of different dealer's and get an estimate of what there worth, if that's all you want to know, or how much they will pay you for them. Be sure you keep good notes for what they tell you for each coin, and don't tell one your going to take them to someone else for there opinion.

If you just want to get a good estimate always do some business with the dealer, buy something that makes it worth their time or pay for having them appraised.

Welcome to the board.

If those two are 1884-S you definitely want to submit them for grading here at PCGS, then if they come back like I think they may, enjoy your new Corvette...While your pulling into the driveway of your new two story Ranch house...

JMHO

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice morgans.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shark669....Welcome aboard.... Some nice Morgans there... Let us know about the 1884S coins... Cheers, RickO

• @ricko said:
    Let us know about the 1884S coins... Cheers, RickO

**I double checked no 84 with S mark only O , I probably mixed the pictures on my pc by accident :( **

@Texast said:
    If you just want to get a good estimate always do some business with the dealer, buy something that makes it worth their

Do you guys have any recommended dealer?

To bad about the 84's. This will make it to the top again so maybe someone can help you with dealers.

Ken
  • yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahhh what a shame about the S

Look for an upcoming show and visit several dealers.

Coinzip is a good resource. Just click your state or enter your zipcode.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020 12:04PM

@shark669
    Where are you located, General area where you are comfortable going to not necessarily where you live to protect your privacy.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
    edited January 29, 2020 1:07PM

Maybe, of course this is entirely up to you. After you receive some more knowledge of some specific Morgans, why not send some in to our host (PCGS Grading)? Some of your Morgans can maybe hit the 65 or 66 grade and who knows, maybe a covenant 67? In which, would make your Morgans that more valuable. :) Did you see what the 1881s in a 66 and 67 go for? Esp. if one turns out PL (proof like appearance)Big money!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • @joeykoins said:
    (PCGS Grading)? Some of your Morgans can maybe hit the 65 or 66 grade and who knows,

Thank you joeykoins, but what is the approximate cost involved in PCGS grading 45 coins?

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020 8:22PM

Lol. I for one would definitely NOT send all in. Have someone that is wise to grading coins, maybe a friend or trusted dealer, to only pick out the best of the best! :)
    Good Luck, my friend.-joey
    The cost to grade a coin runs about, $40 per coin. I could be off? PCGS, sometimes has good deals. Having a membership in PCGS grading helps.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file