Home U.S. Coin Forum

1976-S Washington Quarter question(s)

I do not remember seeing this discussed anywhere. While on USACoinbook I discovered (for myself) that there were a subset of Proof and Business Strike Centennial 1976-S Quarters. I do not even remember this being mentioned on any of the coin roll hunt videos I have watched.

Outside of the 40% silver content, is their any other additional value that the coin collecting community attributes to these coins that would have to be in a circulated state if discovered among change or coin rolls?

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

@isaiah58 said:
    I do not remember seeing this discussed anywhere. While on USACoinbook I discovered (for myself) that there were a subset of Proof and Business Strike Centennial 1976-S Quarters. I do not even remember this being mentioned on any of the coin roll hunt videos I have watched.

Outside of the 40% silver content, is their any other additional value that the coin collecting community attributes to these coins that would have to be in a circulated state if discovered among change or coin rolls?

Little bit. Not much. 3 piece proof set are about $15 retail. They are only maybe $4 in silver content.

Would be a scarce find in a roll.

It's in the Red Book

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

The silver versions were only issued in collector sets. While it is possible some have been dumped into circulation by unknowing heirs the likelihood of finding such a coin in roll searching is very, very small.

All glory is fleeting.
  • isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    The silver versions were only issued in collector sets. While it is possible some have been dumped into circulation by unknowing heirs the likelihood of finding such a coin in roll searching is very, very small.

I agree. I was thinking along the lines of finding a NIFC 2002 or newer Kennedy which happens.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes it’s best to get a book and the Red Book is an excellent resource.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

One never knows what can turn up in roll searching... though the ROI would be minimal if ever computed, the thrill of the rare treasure found seems worth it. Of course, you cannot spend thrills, but I do not collect coins to sell. ;) Cheers, RickO

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

You just never know when going through rolls.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

You never know. Chances of finding that one particular coin are slim to none.

Finding proof quarters in change does happen. I once found a 1998-S Washie in change.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file