Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would overstriking actual coins be better than "fantasy" coins?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 28, 2020 9:40AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Rather than DCarr fantasy models, would overstriking actual coins and keeping one side "real" be more acceptable to you?
Sort of like the Scott overstrikes of Confederate halves.

?????

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like U.S. Coins natural.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of the "Parody" Statehood Quarters were struck over actual Statehood Quarters, especially the 'Arkansas - Birthplace of Clinton' issue. Apparently the makers and marketers felt that this would preclude any possible counterfeiting charges. On many of these Clinton coins, you could still readily tell/discern what the original coin once was.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2020 10:32AM

LOL, you should know that some folks will never be satisfied with anything and can always find something to bitch about. I say keep posting those Dan Carr beauties just to agitate all the Mrs, Gruno* do-gooders on the forum. :p

*Mrs, Gruno was the unhappy, old, busy-body, "looser" who's life revolved around spying/bitching/reporting on the neighbors and us kids! Probably like the old Soviets.

PS Those who collect foreign coins run into plenty of instances where genuine coins were over-struck!

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s always something to complain about. As long as its not illegal it doesn’t matter what I think. I still have a couple of the Missouri protest quarters where the designer glued the design they wanted on the reverse in protest to how the mint interpreted their design.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

it makes them happy, who knows for sure

• Options

I was thinking of using a Chain Cent as the host for the overstrike.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

Only do that if it has enough detail to be identified as the understrike. ;)

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@topstuf said:

Get a BU chain cent replica for a few bucks or use a Gallery Mint product. Then post images. :)

• Options

Strike the Eid Mar denarius on the back. >:)

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2020 4:50PM

Uhhhh Ohhhh!

Here is one struck on 1 side only, sort of I asked Dan if he could save the eagle side.

I didn't want to RUIN, DESTROY IT! :D Its one of his coins ( Dan ) over struck recently.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's still a fantasy coin, no difference in my book.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not care what people collect or disparage.... I collect coins...US coins, some foreign coins, challenge coins and any coin type item that interests me....My hobby, my choices....Ah the peace and contentment of a stress free life... :D Now where are my old decks of cards...oh yes, on the shelf with my numismatic books... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a US Mint coin that is fully overstruck on both sides. What's not to like?

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

@topstuf said:

Only do that if it has enough detail to be identified as the understrike. ;)

If struck out of collar, the vines and bars on the edge should authenticate it. I seem to recall it was distinct form that same design for the Wreath Cent, but I do forget.

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2020 5:38PM

@topstuf said:

Can I get my 1804 Dollar re-struck to look new?
    (I wish I had an 1804 dollar 😁)

Oh, that's just a 50¢ piece. (1824)

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options

The best reason to use struck coins for planchets is it eliminates a complicated step to make a planchet and it is cheaper.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    The best reason to use struck coins for planchets is it eliminates a complicated step to make a planchet and it is cheaper.

But then you've got to trim down all those 50 pesos and smuggle in a press from Argentina...all in 100 degree Arizona heat.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2020 11:50PM

@Insider2 said:

After watching Dan make planchets, I have to say that making brand new planchets is not a big deal, and quite fast, if you have the right equipment and expertise (which is considerable) that Dan has.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file