Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My other NY Intl NEWP

YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 27, 2020 6:37PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Here is my new 1774 2 Reales. She is a beauty, so forgive my poor camera skills.
Should I try to cross it?

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like an attractive coin. Why cross it? I remember you mentioning that you believed NGC to be a more accurate grader for these.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I did buy a Lion Daalder form CRO in an N61 holder. I made the mistake of cracking it out to get in a P holder. It came back as a 55. It has sharper details than any 63 I have ever seen.
    I mean no insult to our hosts or a member with whom I have debated that issue of his coin versus mine...

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pickup!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough to assess grade from the pics but there are a lot of 64's for this date. Given the grade concentration and similar surfaces and toning of the coins they most likely came from a hoard.

I would cross but not crack if you want it in PCGS plastic. LB often has a special "only pay if it crosses" and the quarterly specials have run with the benefit before.