Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Shoebox of Morgan’s/Peace Dollars

BS’ing with a buddy today and conversation turned to coins. The fact they’re valuable was mostly lost on him. Then he says his father has a shoebox full of old dollars. Fast forward until tonight when he sends the pics below. In total there’s a couple hundred. He’s a few hundred miles away and is not savvy on numismatics let alone spot prices. Thoughts on the coins and how to best address the issue of assessing them would be appreciated. PS. The guys initial guess at value was $1 each. And I asked for better pictures but the old guys show came on and there was no budging him.

Comments

• Options
    bombtech25bombtech25 Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    My guess is he has a hundred avg. circulated dollars worth less than $20 each to a dealer right now. Tell him to hold on to them as a store of silver for bad times - at least until he can have them looked at by a knowledgeable collector. Don't clean them!

I like it. Can you class it up a little bit? Maybe put that on a formal letter head. Kinda hoping to get them cheap. :#

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bombtech25 said:

@Insider2 said:
    My guess is he has a hundred avg. circulated dollars worth less than $20 each to a dealer right now. Tell him to hold on to them as a store of silver for bad times - at least until he can have them looked at by a knowledgeable collector. Don't clean them!

I like it. Can you class it up a little bit? Maybe put that on a formal letter head. Kinda hoping to get them cheap. :#

Your friendship is in question.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck in your endeavors to rip the poor old guy off. At the same time if you head over, be sure to protect your backside. Enjoy!!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

Is this coin virtue signaling? Of course I’m joking. Was I supposed to be waiting on memorandum from Insider with raised stamp of authenticity stating low value? Ffs :D

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bombtech25 said:
    Kinda hoping to get them cheap. :#

Of the five people who have replied, nobody knows that that emoji means, including me.
    Best to put in [I'm joking!] in that post, instead of the emoji.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok boomer😁

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be fun to go through them.... probably just average silver dollars, but that is the thrill of the search... always the possibility of treasure ....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boomer was my nickname back in high school. I had such a booming voice that the supermarket manager called me that and had me do the "Complaint" Department. It was in the 70's. B)

@Mgarmy said:
    Ok boomer😁

Ken
  • Options
    ElectricityElectricity Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

What’s wrong with asking if you can take a look next time you are in the area?
    If the guy is interested in selling, pay him a fair price keeping a friendship and leaving with a clean conscience.

Old timers have a lot more street smarts than they lead on, those silver dollars could be his junk stuff and if he trusts you.. he could pull out his real collection.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Other than what Insider said in the first post, I'd only add having your friend look at a copy of the Red Book to determine which dates and mint marks would bring a premium in any condition... ie, Carson City MM, 1893-S... etc,

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could give him the numbers of some buyers, so he will find the market on these or let him see how collectors see these in terms of value so he won't think someone is trying to take advantage. I have been surprised at how some people think they have something really valuable, which is very unlikely unless a serious collector spent real money when buying.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o:o:o

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Environmental damage. Athletes feet. :joy:

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2020 11:39AM

deleted

• Options

1884 S Morgan may benefit from restoration but pics are so poor so who knows. The father is pretty far along in years and can’t manage better. Going to sort out my buddy with flips and packaging to drive them back when he gets the chance. All in all, it’s cool to see someone else discover the magic in coins.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:

@bombtech25 said:

@Insider2 said:

Are you kidding?

Did I miss the part about this being his buddy.
    DUDE, you're not supposed to make money off of your buddies.
    Rule #1 or close to it.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    It would be fun to go through them.... probably just average silver dollars, but that is the thrill of the search... always the possibility of treasure ....Cheers, RickO

And bring a neodymium magnet,scale and calipers to check for fakes.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 said:

@Smudge said:

@bombtech25 said:

@Insider2 said:

Are you kidding?

Did I miss the part about this being his buddy.
    DUDE, you're not supposed to make money off of your buddies.
    Rule #1 or close to it.

Dang let the guy wet his beak a little bit

:D

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file