Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Witter Coin of San Francisco Hiring……

First, a little about Witter Coin. The firm was founded by Dean Witter in 1960. I took over in 2016 and the business has really taken off. We recently moved into a 7500 square foot showroom. 15 times the size of the previous showroom. 85,000 cars drive by everyday. 12 onsite parking spots – a rare item in San Francisco! It will be a fast paced environment but most importantly, tons of fun! Every day is like being Indiana Jones – you just never know what will walk in the door.

Showroom Associate

Primary role is to work with clients who visit our showroom. Tasks can range from appraising a common wheat cent to selling a six figure rarity. As we purchase items from the public, a working knowledge of coins is required. You need to be willing to learn how to buy, sort, process and sell. Making things happen is important.

Friendly, personable vibe is a must as you are working retail.

There will many opportunities to learn, grow and make an ever increasing bonus over time.

My goal is to create America’s finest coin store, but I need the right people!

Seth Chandler
seth@wittercoin.com

Collecting since 1976.

Comments

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2020 5:01PM

I’d apply but I’m way too far away😊

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - now that your at an ex-IHOP, a real opportunity to get in on the ground floor.

Any openings for a smart-a$$ former Radiologist??

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

A salary north of 6 figures would be required in the area of your store.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have really nice coins but you folks must all be rich out there.
    Ever think about relocating to Pittsburgh? :D

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

North of six figures would be seven figures or more. 😄But even at the bottom of the six figure range, you might be mistaken. There’s no requirement that a job applicant has to live nearby.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ideal candidate for this new position would be one who either lives in SF (preferably within 1-2 miles of the new location), or one whose personal situation would allow for long commutes to and from work without detracting from the new employee's non work life (i.e. a single person with no spouse/significant other and no children to raise).

Commuting to the new location from outside of SF (from the north over the Golden Gate Bridge into Marin and Sonoma Counties; south from the Peninsula and San Jose up 101, 280 or even Highway 1 along the coast from San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties; or from the east over the Bay Bridge from Alameda, Contra Costa, Solano and/or Napa Counties would be time consuming, exhausting and expensive. Even if one took BART, Cal Train and Muni to and from work, that would still be time consuming and expensive.

Looking forward to stopping by the next time I am over on Lombard Street.

Wishing you the best in the new location.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Wow - now that your at an ex-IHOP, a real opportunity to get in on the ground floor.

Any openings for a smart-a$$ former Radiologist??

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess no. :)

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2020 8:43PM

You forgot to link the address.
    https://www.wittercoin.com/
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/2299+Lombard+St,+San+Francisco,+CA+94123/@37.7992342,-122.4411546,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x808580d12df7ad69:0x8f23efa6e3c775b!8m2!3d37.79923!4d-122.4389606?hl=en

My son lived in North Beach (San Francisco) recently with 3 roommates,
    and the Witter Coin shop would be somewhat reachable from his old place by bike.
    Would require riding around a few big hills!

There are bedrooms available for rent in shared housing in Cow Hollow (immediate neighborhood of the Witter Coin shop)
    for around $1500.
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/sfc/roo?query=cow+hollow&availabilityMode=0

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buzz me when you open up a Santa Rosa location :) Spent 12 years making that commute, can't imagine doing it again. Good luck on your search.

• Options
    edited January 28, 2020 7:27AM

Hmmmm, Your math mind is different than my math mind. $100,001 is north of 6 figures to me. :#

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

North of six figures would be seven figures or more. 😄But even at the bottom of the six figure range, you might be mistaken. There’s no requirement that a job applicant has to live nearby.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck in your new location.... For me, that is not an option... Will never, ever live in CA again, though I did like that area when I lived in Mountain View, CA. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Hmmmm, Your math mind is different than my math mind. $100,001 is north of 6 figures to me. :#

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

By your "math mind" how many figures is $999,999? It looks like six, to me. Would "north" of that be required?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2020 7:47AM

@MFeld said:
    @amwldcoin said:

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

By your "math mind" how many figures is $999,999? It looks like six, to me. Would "north" of that be required?

Not to derail the thread, but since the direction we're heading is north, once you hit 100,000, you've crossed the threshold.

So, do I get the job? 🙂

Edit: Actually I can see the opposite argument making sense semantically as well, but context and common sense makes the intended meaning clear, IMO.

• Options

This could easily turn into one of those which decade is it debates! :p

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2020 11:31AM

UPDATE: Mark and I exchanged PMs on this. We both agreed it's ambiguous, and the only reasonable solution is to compromise and set the salary at $550,000/yr. BTW, where do I formally apply? :)

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good Luck! I'm sure posting this on facebook, Instagram, reddit etc could help you widen your net as well.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would onsite living be a possiblity?

• Options
    edited January 28, 2020 3:28PM

@topstuf said:

#VanLife? Sounds very trendy, but not too hygenic. :)

• Options

@topstuf said:

If you want the job and would like to live on site, I’ll be happy to negotiate on your behalf. I’ll offer them $300 per night for you to live there and the nightly fee can be deducted from your pay.😄

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:

@topstuf said:

Not sure if you're joking about VanLife, but if you live in the silicon valley you know it's very real and quite popular. I'm talking millenials, not poverty.

• Options
    edited January 28, 2020 5:53PM

Yes, I'm partly joking about VanLife, and I do live in Silicon Valley.
    There are parts of town where people park RVs or trucks and live in them, and some of my friends have done this to save on rent.

I'm also a rock climber, and vans have long been popular with climbers with a nomadic lifestyle.
    Heck, my grandpa had a VW "microbus", one of the classic vans of the 60s/70s.
    Nowadays there are several YouTubers trying it out.

The trick in VanLife if working is access to a shower. Usually it's at a gym and sometimes at work.
    My son's coworker lived in his van in SF for a couple of years. His solution was to pay friends to park in their driveway,
    with access to their bathroom.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw this posted on a private Facebook page. Wife wasn't thrilled with the idea of moving to California. So I'm out of the runnings.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2020 10:37PM

Very impressive inventory. The coins look great with an impressive CAC percentage of over 90%.

Best of luck hiring someone great!

I'll look to stop by next time I'm in the area. The last time I was up there, I visited the Palace of Fine Arts and Pizzeria Avellino. Your shop would make a great third stop!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Best of luck in your new location.... For me, that is not an option... Will never, ever live in CA again, though I did like that area when I lived in Mountain View, CA. Cheers, RickO

Must have been a long time ago when you lived here and liked it.........I understand where you're coming from ricko but have pity on us oldtimer Califorians. We try to overlook the bad and remember the good......even while everybody is moving out. Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Idaho. People are leaving SO fast. They can't get out fast enough. Especially the young people. It's sad. Whatever.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant.... Yes, it was a long time ago...talking about the latter '70's....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020 10:56AM

@OriginalDan said:

@yosclimber said:

@topstuf said:

Not sure if you're joking about VanLife, but if you live in the silicon valley you know it's very real and quite popular. I'm talking millenials, not poverty.

This. I have tech friends living in vans in s.f. It's the only way they can actually afford investing in their retirement. Low paid tech startup jobs hoping to go the IPO route.

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

In my math mind, you can have fractional figures, allowing "north of 6 figures" to be less than 7. 6.3 figures would be about $200,000, 6.5 would be $316,000, 6.7 would be $501,000.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@ricko said:

Must have been a long time ago when you lived here and liked it.........I understand where you're coming from ricko but have pity on us oldtimer Califorians. We try to overlook the bad and remember the good......even while everybody is moving out. Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Idaho. People are leaving SO fast. They can't get out fast enough. Especially the young people. It's sad. Whatever.

Those of us in AZ wish you could convince some to stay, we really do.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

How true. 'Californicated' is an adjective that I hear a lot in AZ, UT, NV, and NM.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020 12:51PM

@SethChandler ,
    If your stuck with staying in San Francisco that's fine. If you ever look to branch out Houston is a huge market ready to be tapped.

There is a huge amount of disposable wealth and income that is waiting to be spent.

It is much less expensive to live and do business in than other Metropolitan areas and is much better social environment where people don't have to worry about walking Downtown or other business areas. Hugh growth potential.

We would love to have your business here.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file