Home Sports Talk
Options

Has your interest in sports increased, decreased, or stayed the same as you age?

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dodgers are not available on TV in my area (thanks Direct).

LA Kings suck. So I haven't even watched a part of a game all year. Frustrated the GM handed out long term contracts to guys on the downside of their careers. Not watchable.

LA Rams were a one hit wonder. Again GM signed "No knees" Gurley to biggest RB contract in NFL. No need to he had another year left on contract. Same with Goof, he had another year on his contract, but no GM signs him to biggest QB contact in NFL. That's after giving away 17 draft picks to get this bum.

I don't know why my interest has waned.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I am forced to watch the Carolina Panthers every Sunday during the regular season, so my interest in booze has increased.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say increased even though I only watch basketball & football. With the internet these days it is very easy to watch any game I want for free on my phone,PC or TV. For years I had collected cards of certain players I liked but only got to see them play if/when their games were aired in my area,that's not the case anymore.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2020 3:08PM

a precipitous dive. when i was a snot-nosed kid, the plight of my favorite teams mirrored life or death. sheer devastation when the Bears got bounced, which was usually early and often. now, i move on within minutes.

i used to be a colossal baseball fan, but if they ever decide to disband that sport my tear ducts will be bone dry.

i love hoops, but my interest has waned this season for the first time in ages. not exactly sure why that is -- maybe it's because parity and "pairing" are moving in opposite directions on the prevalent scale -- but hopefully my enthusiasm will be galvanized by the departure of football.

golf has been/always will be my go-to for a number of reasons. first of all, it's an individual sport. you cannot rely on anyone else to compensate for your inability to perform. if you can't play, you'll lose your card and (at best) end up on the Korn Ferry tour where the only sound you'll hear after making a birdie is...............actual birds. not to mention, the purses are about a tenth of what players on the big boy tour enjoy, so there is some serious financial incentive to do your very best at all times.

second, the cheating aspect. seems like it's rampant with every sport except golf. sure, there is an occasional yahoo like Patrick Reed who tries to pull a fast one, but ask him how that turned out. you may covertly try, but you'll rarely -- if ever -- get away with it. and once you're exposed, you'll be hearing it -- literally, and interminably -- from scores of ardent (& inebriated) fans who can get close enough to make certain you're aware of their disapproval. i don't at all envy PR this year, because galleries are going to roast him like a duck.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

My interest has remained very consistent over the many years I have watched sports. I don't watch basketball till the playoffs, but am still a huge baseball and football fan

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

My interest shifts as the season moves along -

Watch NFL religiously every Monday, Thursday, Sunday
    NCAA Football - when there are key games on or BCS Championship
    NBA - when key games are on and playoff time
    NCAA Basketball - after football season, love March Madness
    MLB Baseball - watch Sox/Yankee games, playoffs, and about 3-4 innings of key games
    NHL Hockey - love playoff hockey
    Golf - love it all
    Boxing/MMA - liking more and more
    Sportscenter every day to keep up with everything.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lost interest in MLB. My team has the worst owner. Only cares about making money. Wont spend to make the team better.
    NFL.. Game went down the hill with all the protection rules. Now QB's can play forever. Wont watch the super bowl. No interest in either team.
    College Football..Interest remains the same. The system rewards the southern teams, but overall the game is still exciting. Thank God for BTN and Fox sports.
    NBA - Unwatchable until the playoffs. Then too many teams in the playoffs.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

I'm looking forward to Wilder vs Fury 2. There's a pretty big build up to the rematch, although I think Wilder will win. I thought he won the first fight between them.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine has I stayed the same with the NFL and especially the Patriots. It has definitely decreased with the Red Sox, o only watch them if they make the Playoffs. I don’t care about NBA or NHL, I will watch a deciding Game for a championship if the Celtics made it or a deciding game for the cup with Bruins if they make it as well.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

My interest has increased for football and gone down for baseball and basketball. Part of the trouble is that it’s hard see games on TV for my favorite teams like the Phillies, Red Sox and 76ers. I abandoned the Philadelphia Flyers after they took down the Kate Smith statue for no good reason.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still have interest, but as many have said, my passion for today's games has dropped.

Can't watch most sports on regular broadcast TV, going to games has become too expensive or difficult.

Thankfully, the NFL is still available on TV and I can keep up with the other local teams on my computer.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2020 8:28AM

It's weird because I can watch playoff baseball, but I just struggle to watch regular season baseball. There are just so many games, and it just goes so slow. I'll go get the mail, throw a pizza in the oven, and go back to the TV and the same batter will still be up to the plate fouling off pitches. It just seems like most of time everybody is just standing around and scratching themselves in a baseball game.

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2020 8:23AM

I still watch a lot football, some baseball and basketball, rarely any hockey, although I still like the Bruins. As far as collecting is concerned, definitely decreased if not completely stopped. I still follow the hobby and on occasion I'll buy a cheap card or two, but haven't actually collected in over 10 years.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

Probably decreased all in all. NFL and Red Zone watched religiously... Sunday-Funday, make a day of eating and drinking. Like March Madness but don't pay attention to college basketball. World Series but would fall asleep during a regular season game. NHL not at all. NBA... not really. And what George Carlin said about golf.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Decreased by a lot. I still enjoy the meaningful games. I may watch the start of a game then go in the other room and watch a program or two with my wife, then go to my office to see the end of the last quarter of the game I saw the start of. Baseball bores me to no end. I watch all Buckeye football, almost no OSU basketball. I have lost a lot of confidence in the integrity of most sporting events.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    a precipitous dive. when i was a snot-nosed kid, the plight of my favorite teams mirrored life or death. sheer devastation when the Bears got bounced, which was usually early and often. now, i move on within minutes.

i used to be a colossal baseball fan, but if they ever decide to disband that sport my tear ducts will be bone dry.

i love hoops, but my interest has waned this season for the first time in ages. not exactly sure why that is -- maybe it's because parity and "pairing" are moving in opposite directions on the prevalent scale -- but hopefully my enthusiasm will be galvanized by the departure of football.

golf has been/always will be my go-to for a number of reasons. first of all, it's an individual sport. you cannot rely on anyone else to compensate for your inability to perform. if you can't play, you'll lose your card and (at best) end up on the Korn Ferry tour where the only sound you'll hear after making a birdie is...............actual birds. not to mention, the purses are about a tenth of what players on the big boy tour enjoy, so there is some serious financial incentive to do your very best at all times.

second, the cheating aspect. seems like it's rampant with every sport except golf. sure, there is an occasional yahoo like Patrick Reed who tries to pull a fast one, but ask him how that turned out. you may covertly try, but you'll rarely -- if ever -- get away with it. and once you're exposed, you'll be hearing it -- literally, and interminably -- from scores of ardent (& inebriated) fans who can get close enough to make certain you're aware of their disapproval. i don't at all envy PR this year, because galleries are going to roast him like a duck.

I haven't watched Golf since the Nicklas, Palmer, and Player era. Huge drop off. Just curious what did Reed try to do.

• Options

Stayed the same for NFL I watch as much as I can.
    Basketball only playoffs
    Baseball only some playoffs and WS
    Hockey....never like that sport. Too much of nothing going on.
    Golf ..... lost interest after Nicklas, Palmer and Player era.

I watch some March Madness if it is teams I like.
    College Football.....not much interest since the Bowl games went to over 100. Use to watch Rose, Sugar and Cotton Bowls.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@galaxy27 said:

I haven't watched Golf since the Nicklas, Palmer, and Player era. Huge drop off. Just curious what did Reed try to do.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/12/patrick-reed-pga-golf-cheating-video-hero-world

• Options

I use to do one better than that. I would use the club to move sand back away from the ball. I'm talking like a shovel not just a practice back swing. Of course I wasn't in PGA play.......just a group of duffers. I played with a guy who called it a gimme once his ball got within 2-3 feet of the cup! B)

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I first started, I refused to take over a 9 on any hole.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2020 2:20PM

@doubledragon said:
    It's weird because I can watch playoff baseball, but I just struggle to watch regular season baseball. There are just so many games, and it just goes so slow. I'll go get the mail, throw a pizza in the oven, and go back to the TV and the same batter will still be up to the plate fouling off pitches. It just seems like most of time everybody is just standing around and scratching themselves in a baseball game.

Baseball is boring when you don’t have a favorite team in the hunt. For example a game between the Dodgers and Giants would interest me as much as watching a hog calling contest.

When I lived near Boston, I watched the vast majority of the Red Sox season on NESN. Now I’d have to pay a big premium to get it, so my interest has decreased greatly.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Decreased

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few other sports I didnt mention earlier..

Hockey....Fun to watch in person. Never watch it on TV
    UFC..No interest
    Boxing..Decreased
    Tennis...Fun to watch live and enjoy the grand slam events as currently on ESPN the Australian Open. Wimbledon is still must see TV.
    Golf...decreased
    soccer..too boring on TV. Fun to play though
    Volleyball..love college women's

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21