Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What would be a good start?

I’m new to collecting and have been thinking of putting together a certain type collection like maybe barber half’s. What would be your guys recommendations on what would be good to start with that won't break the bank. I have a lot of the modern coins like silver eagles ..
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started out with 1932-64 Washington Quarters.

The two keys are readily available and you can learn how to complete a set without much risk if you stay away from the top of population coins.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all depends upon your collecting interests. I think an interesting series might be the classic commemorative half dollars. Many interesting designs and the halves are generally obtainable by type.

Another easier series might be a premium Eisenhower dollar set in solver or clad. More challenging than you think but inexpensive.

Franklin half dollars are readily obtainable and if you don’t try for the ultra premium you can get most grades very affordably.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look to collecting foreign coins or medals. US coins are fully priced, especially the key dates and high grade specimens.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

A type set of Barber halves consists of one coin. :p

A date set (1892-1915) could be fun. A complete set (ignoring the 1892 micro-O variety) would be a long slog if you want coins that look nice for their grades. You should first look at recent prices for coins in various grades to get an idea of whether you want to seriously have a go at a full date/MM set (more than 70 coins).

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously I'm one for Barber Halves. If you do go that route be sure you go after the nice original coins. So many of them have been molested over the years and even still make it into problem free holders.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lets say you wanted to do a Type set of Nickels... Shield, Liberty, Buffalo, and Jefferson Nickels.

1938d Buffalo Nickel is a prime example of where high grades are cheap and well struck examples easy to find for the series.

That way I can check off the type box, and if I ever expand upon an individual series there are quality examples to be my guide.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barber halfs would be a cool place to start! Could spend as much or as little as you want and they’re pretty.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go to a coin show or shop

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you like Barber halves in the condition that you'll be able to collect them, then it's a good choice. Other than the 92-O Micro O, there aren't any real show-stoppers in the set.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to throw it out there....

If you like the modern silver eagles, then the original design as used on the Walking Liberty Half might be of interest. The short set, (post 1938(?)) are certainly readily available, and not TOO expensive. And if expense is a consideration, I, (for one, anyway), rather like the look of a nice circulated walker.

It all comes down to what interests you. Picking something you DON'T like will probably shorten your interest in collecting....while something you DO like makes it much sweeter.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options

Well I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and idea's. I like stars and eagles on the coins and my dad was a barber for 42 years so that is why i was leaning that direction. I thought id stay with PCGS slabbed coins in less i knew it was coming from a reputable coin guy. Im not sure about the PCGS but i do like the slabs... Thoughts maybe cheaper with out slabs but me being new kind of afraid of getting a fake.

• Options

"Thoughts maybe cheaper with out slabs but me being new kind of afraid of getting a fake."

Authenticity is not the only problem. Grade is another, as is eye appeal. Until you have seen LOTS of coins that you want to collect in hand, you should stick to certified coins and even then you should have a set of experienced eyes review your purchases. Take your time.

• Options

I wouldn’t generally be too worried about getting a fake as much as getting a problem coin or one that is over graded. Until you learn how to grade (the ANA has a wonderful grading class available) it would be safer to stick to PCGS/NGC for your coins. Although if you’re looking into well circulated coins then raw is probably a better choice and you can buy a grading guide (or use one online) to easily judge the circulated grades.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are looking at a registry set of any kind... then stick with PCGS

Peruse the registry sets that PCGS offers and there will be a dizzying array of options with some gobsmacking cool coins.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

A prime question is, "What do you like?" Choose a coin you would enjoy learning about, meets your aesthetic requirements, and since you want to collect them, one within your budget. There are so many really neat coins in which you don't have to sacrifice too much to collect.

Barber halves are nice and are gaining in popularity. One neat things about Barber halves is that most coin shops will have a decent selection (if you are looking for 'collector grade' coins) and the coins are not too expensive. As you advance with your collection, higher grade Barber halves provide the challenge of grade scarcity and locating nice, original coins. Another advantage of Barber halves is they are 'big' coins (that can often be enjoyed without magnification) and are relatively easy to grade in the circulated grades.

Find a dealer or collector who can mentor you on detecting problem coins. Barber halves have seen their fair share of abuse and you want to be able to stay away from problem coins.

Last suggestion ... if you end up collecting Barber halves, consider joining the Barber Coin Collector's Society (barbercoins.org. Membership is a measly $15 per year and you get a really nice quarterly journal.

Disclosure ... I helped 'man' the Liberty Seated and Barber collectors' club booth at the Houston Money Show and got Barber brainwashed! ;)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2020 2:26PM

I was brainwashed for decades. I sold my ChAU set of Barber halves in 2007, and am much better now. Of course, I still have copper disease.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Choosing what to collect is a very personal issue....I recommend going to shows and shops and looking at the various series, in various conditions. After a while, you will usually find yourself attracted to a particular coin type... maybe silver, maybe copper....It varies... as you study the design and history, you will find a focus. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2020 11:13AM

@Coinstartled said:
    I started out with 1932-64 Washington Quarters.

The two keys are readily available and you can learn how to complete a set without much risk if you stay away from the top of population coins.

This is a good suggestion, as the only keys are the 1932 d 1932 s and 1936-d. The others are very available in mint state.

I would like to add that Franklins and Peace dollars are also a very good series to collect in mint state, as they are not prohibitively expensive.

The peace dollar only has about three keys: the 1934 s and the 1928 s and P.

Franklins are even more doable. A 1949 s in mint state 65 is available for about a hundred bucks for a non full Bell line example. A full Bell line example would be about $200 more.

As others have stated, it all comes down to what you like, personally.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020 6:18AM

Franklin Halves if you want to collect silver, or Jefferson Nickels.

Either one you pick, the slots will fill up quickly.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

Never really thought about the peace dollars. I know most of you on here have several coins but do you focus on one set most

• Options

@stm004 said:
    Never really thought about the peace dollars. I know most of you on here have several coins but do you focus on one set most

The closest thing to that for me might be Morgan dollars. I like variety too much to do a lot of one thing. But Morgan dollars are that one thing. I’ve thought about a nice collection of gold dollar coins as well in circulated condition.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stm004 said:
    I’m new to collecting and have been thinking of putting together a certain type collection like maybe barber half’s. What would be your guys recommendations on what would be good to start with that won't break the bank. I have a lot of the modern coins like silver eagles ..
    Thanks

As long as you do this for FUN...I would start with a more modern series. You can get a short set of Walking liberty half dollars all grading MS-66 for around $3000. Anything silver is a good choice. Right now you can buy full sets of circulated silver Franklins, Washingtons, and Roosevelts for around melt so it all depends on why you want to start collecting coins.

Start slowly and buy the reference books. If I were starting out today, I'd pick Washington 25c coins as there are a lot of rare die varieties still to be scooped up for "nothing!"

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would concur with Insider2 about the Washingtons-there are some monstrous doubled dies that may be cherrypicked to be found in that series. But I would also choose a design you really like. When I first started nearly 60 years ago I quickly gravitated to Buffalo nickels. They remain my favorite to this day.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2020 11:29PM

I would get the coin you want but perhaps scale back on full commitment to a date/mm set. It's always satisfying to get what you want.

If you like Barber halves, I would get one or two. I personally have no need to build a date/mm set and prefer the Box of 20 approach, just picking up coins of interest to me. I might be happy with just one or two Barber halves but don't know about you. For example, I have 2 Seated Liberty Dollars and I'm satisfied though I've been eyeing a third.

I might start to branch out from what you enjoy. For example for Barber Halves, you can branch out to other Barber denominations or you can branch out to other half dollar types. That way you are adding coins that have some kind of relationship to each other.

I don't know your budget, but for Barber halves, I checked eBay and the following would look interesting to me and shouldn't break the bank.

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can’t decide right off, consider a 20th Century type set.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020 8:10AM

A plan quantity of 60 slabs
    1. 20 slabbed gold coins close to melt - can be mods, world or USGTC; doesn’t matter - buying right does
    2. 20 WLH, Dol, Classic Commems
    3. 20 quality world coins low single digit pops.

Would take my time, buy them right. The bids aren’t moving up lol. Would get eBay acct, store so could churn inventory.

I wb looking for quality lustrous coins wellstruck with super luster. Minimum grade MS64, AU 58 might be ok on stuff where could not afford higher grade. The key is not to overpay.

I would then want 100 pieces of graded currency. Now it’s show time. The currency will fill any gaps in cases. I would get w this wholesaler sets up locally I know sells at 95 pct bid sometimes less. For walk up sellers offer no more than 80-90 pct bid.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file