Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Great Collections: 1860 Liberty Gold Eagle PCGS Proof-64 DCAM just sold!

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 26, 2020 8:04PM in U.S. Coin Forum

If I was the seller i would not be a happy camper.

Your thoughts??

This coin sold for as much as $161k in 2011.

Mintage : 50

PCGS Populaton: 2

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/777517/1860-Liberty-Gold-Eagle-PCGS-Proof-64-DCAM

CoinFacts.......... https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1860-10-dcam/98796

Comments

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. I thought most Proof gold, especially early 19th Century, has "held" up in the market. Agree, would not be happy.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is in the range they have been selling for when you look at CoinFacts.

Looks like the market has not changed a great deal on these for several years (there are only 2 in this grade).

It brought slightly more than the exact same coin auctioned for in 2014 which was $142,175.

The latest sale at GC was just under the price the other example with the same grade plus CAC sold for, $156,027.60, in August 2019. Check out the roster under that lot for more info.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/liberty-eagles/eagles/1860-10-pr64-deep-cameo-pcgs-cac-jd-1/a/1298-3906.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

The prices these sold for dont seem to change that much. Seems the recent result is not that bad. One cannot expect the prices to always go up and up.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Win some, lose some.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea what the coin looks like in hand but the glamour shots certainly didn’t help the coin.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    I have no idea what the coin looks like in hand but the glamour shots certainly didn’t help the coin.

Or it shows what CAC saw. If CAC saw it.

How many Cs can CAC saw if CAC sees?
    sorry.....it's late :(

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps springing a few bucks for a TrueView might help, but I bet a CAC sticker would have helped more (as has already been pointed out).

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

It look like the eagle has cancer. Is that on the coin or the holder?

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2020 9:21AM

Maybe it was the gummy smudge on the holder. Bidders are finicky at the six figure price point.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin like that is going to a select market, so market timing, auction venue and market hype are important. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2020 7:47AM

Wow 😱

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of people are not happy with price realized for coins they are selling. Good time to be an auctioneer, $$$$$$$$$ no matter what happens.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    A lot of people are not happy with price realized for coins they are selling. Good time to be an auctioneer, $$$$$$$$$ no matter what happens.

Good time if folks continue to consign coins. It is not unusual, in soft markets, for turnover to decline.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it’s as simple as that coin was not all there for the money if it’s the same coin I think it is.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since it brought about the same range of money as it and the CAC coin had brought in the past several years, what are people thinking it should have brought to not have been a disappointment?

Some of the comments make it sound like it did terrible when it has actually been quite consistent, just not going up. This exact example has been offered for auction 8 times since 1999 and it brought in between its last two auction prices, 161k and 142k, which were the 2 highest prices for the grade at the time.

And it could even be viewed as a strong price considering that, as a non-CAC example with many auction appearances, it still sold for almost 95 percent of the CAC auction price only a few months later than that sale.

Lots of big coins went up fast between the 1990's into the 2005-2014 timeframe and then stabilized or even fell since. This one nearly tripled from the 1999 Bass auction ($55,200) to the 2011 auction ($161,000) and then stayed in the same range.

Sometimes the premise in the first post of a thread is just accepted and people run with it without looking at whether the information backs that up. Seems a lot are viewing this as a disaster or a market plunge or a low price because it was not CAC.

I suspect anyone owning a coin like this was aware of the past market prices and trends, and would expect it was not likely to be a big money maker and possibly a small loser percentage-wise.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options

@WinLoseWin said:
    Since it brought about the same range of money as it and the CAC coin had brought in the past several years, what are people thinking it should have brought to not have been a disappointment?

Some of the comments make it sound like it did terrible when it has actually been quite consistent, just not going up. This exact example has been offered for auction 8 times since 1999 and it brought in between its last two auction prices, 161k and 142k, which were the 2 highest prices for the grade at the time.

And it could even be viewed as a strong price considering that, as a non-CAC example with many auction appearances, it still sold for almost 95 percent of the CAC auction price only a few months later than that sale.

Lots of big coins went up fast between the 1990's into the 2005-2014 timeframe and then stabilized or even fell since. This one nearly tripled from the 1999 Bass auction ($55,200) to the 2011 auction ($161,000) and then stayed in the same range.

Sometimes the premise in the first post of a thread is just accepted and people run with it without looking at whether the information backs that up. Seems a lot are viewing this as a disaster or a market plunge or a low price because it was not CAC.

I suspect anyone owning a coin like this was aware of the past market prices and trends, and would expect it was not likely to be a big money maker and possibly a small loser percentage-wise.

One year before the Civil War. Mintage of 50, PR64 DCAM $10 gold, and only 2 pcs. graded by our hosts.

Sounds like a formula for good returns. Would love to see a TrueView of the coin and a CAC sticker as per Justacommeman said. On hindsight, who wouldn't insist on a TrueView of your very valuable coin if there was nothing to hide? There must be a reason there are no quality images.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lotta copper spots. Pass

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBatDavidLawrence said:
    I'm a little late to respond, but as the buyer, I have to say that we were pleased with the purchase.
    In-hand the coin was more attractive than the image in our opinion and we had no problem with the final realized price. In fact, we had a higher bid to place if we had been outbid, but it wasn't necessary.

congrats!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Congratulations on your purchase. Please consider reholdering and getting a TrueView image.

After all the suspense and hearing your comments, there are a lot of folks who would love to see your coin's image at high resolution.

Enjoy, glad you are pleased.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file