Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone returned cracked out labels lately?

sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was wondering what the procedure is.
Send them to someone specific, etc.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Comments

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I returned one to JoAnn at the Vegas Collectors show, had it since 2010. It got removed from the Pop Report.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

IRC several years ago Steve Contursi of Rare Coin Wholesalers donated
    a huge garbage bag full of labels to the ANA. I think there was even a picture
    in one of the hobby newspapers. At the time I think they were worth 50 cents each.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2020 3:32PM

I have only cracked one, an 1818 50C, PCGS AU53 CAC, resubmitted and received an AU55...CAC again. I dont remember what happened to the insert. I understand the concept of adjusting the actual numbers in holders/grades, but is it really worth the effort?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can send them to JA if you're doing a CAC submission.
    He will forward them to PCGS or NGC.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    Make it worth our while, PCGS. If you care about pop reports. It doesn't have to hurt. How about one free grading submission for every 5 certs returned?
    Lance.

I agree, 100%. I have about 200+ certs sitting in a plastic bag right now. I'd rather make a collage of them in a frame, than send them back to PCGS/NGC/ANACS to receive a measly $.50/insert.

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    I have only cracked one, an 1818 50C, PCGS AU53 CAC, resubmitted and received an AU55...CAC again. I dont remember what happened to the insert. I understand the concept of adjusting the actual numbers in holders/grades, but is it really worth the the effort?

When PCGS joined CAC and shared their data, it occurred to me that cert #s and CAC cert #s would be an 'ironclad' indication of high quality coin populations. It did not occur to me that crackouts would occur on CAC coins. So, these updated populations are also exaggerated. Sigh. But at least the published pops do provide a upper limit.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShadyDave said:

@lkeigwin said:
    Make it worth our while, PCGS. If you care about pop reports. It doesn't have to hurt. How about one free grading submission for every 5 certs returned?
    Lance.

I agree, 100%. I have about 200+ certs sitting in a plastic bag right now. I'd rather make a collage of them in a frame, than send them back to PCGS/NGC/ANACS to receive a measly $.50/insert.

Why would PCGS meaningfully increase the compensation for returned inserts? Wildly inflated pop reports hurt collectors far more than they hurt PCGS.

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:
    Wildly inflated pop reports hurt collectors far more than they hurt PCGS.

I agree. The cert I returned reduced the population from 6 to now 5. Was important for me as a collector.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShadyDave said:

@lkeigwin said:
    Lance.

With as many as you say, that’s over $100. Surely worth it as that would cover a few submissions depending upon tier.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sparky64 said:
    I was wondering what the procedure is.
    Send them to someone specific, etc.

I checked with NGC and this is what they sent me to return their labels that were cracked out to fix pop reports. I plan to send them about 20 or so that I have had crossed over the past 20 years.

Thank you for your email. Please mail them to,

NGC
    P.O. BOX 4776
    SARASOTA, FL 34230

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2020 4:39PM

I've been watching numbers bounce all over the place for under 100 pops next to the big bump in price/grade.
    It's odd and I'm thinking it might have to do with them finally clearing dups/resubmissions.

When I bought one saint the price was around 4K when the pop was 94.
    That price almost doubled when the pop dropped to 78
    I think the real pop is around 64 (I counted 25 of the same coin w/ different cert. numbers before the TV/coin facts purge)

Didn't hurt me one bit :)

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the services had a promo about 5 years ago where there was a .50 credit for each label provided with a submission, as I recall. I might have dreamed that up, I'm not sure.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

You got .50 cents ?? I have NEVER got a freaking dime for any I sent in. I would put them in a with a submission and expect some sort of (discount) on the invoice. Never saw it happen. So what is the policy and how are those of you "seeing" your payment. Inquiring minds want to know.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the recommendation, will try to send some of the labels I have to get populations more accurate.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    If I ever crack out a coin (highly unlikely), I will send the label to the TPG...I would think everyone would do that, even without compensatory incentive...just to help keep the records straight. Cheers, RickO

That's the way I see it too.

Just seems like the right thing to do but I see it's not very high on the list of priorities.
    Guess I'll just sit on them for the time being but still intend to return them.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaterSport said:
    You got .50 cents ?? I have NEVER got a freaking dime for any I sent in. I would put them in a with a submission and expect some sort of (discount) on the invoice. Never saw it happen. So what is the policy and how are those of you "seeing" your payment. Inquiring minds want to know.

WS

I think they get lost in that process WS. You need to send them in separately.

50c is not much of an incentive but if you have enough send them in by themselves and look for the extraordinary credit.
    Lance.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have probably a thousand NGC labels from crossovers. Not crackouts, as I have only cracked out 2 coins in my life. Apparently, they are only good for credit for future submissions. Maybe I can use them to get variety attributions or regrades on what small number of remaining NGC slabs remaining.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:

@ShadyDave said:

@lkeigwin said:
    Lance.

Why would PCGS meaningfully increase the compensation for returned inserts? Wildly inflated pop reports hurt collectors far more than they hurt PCGS.

Yep, PCGS knows exactly how many they've graded?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once sent some inserts in with a submission and took fiddy cents per insert off of the amount due and 3 months later I got a check for the amount of the inserts.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:

@ShadyDave said:

@lkeigwin said:
    Lance.

That's why some of them shouldn't really be believed.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2020 7:40AM

@Tibor is this it ? :D

(Newport Beach, CA) -- A veteran rare coin dealer has returned to Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) thousands of cracked-out certification inserts - the informative labels placed inside encapsulation holders. The turning in of the old inserts will improve the accuracy of the PCGS Population Report and also generate over $13,000 to launch a new educational program by the American Numismatic Association.

On February 1, Steven L. Contursi, President of Rare Coin Wholesalers of Dana Point, California, brought a crate to PCGS headquarters filled with 13,535 inserts he accumulated since the grading company was founded 19 years ago. The vintage inserts represented hundreds of millions of dollars of high-end PCGS-certified rare coins he bought and sold since 1986.

Contursi is donating to the ANA the 50-cents-per-insert "bounty" offered by PCGS for the return of tags, and PCGS Founder and President, David Hall, is matching his donation.

ANA Executive Director Christopher Cipoletti said the $13,535 combined donation from Contursi and Hall now will be used as seed money to create lectures involving exhibits in the ANA Money Museum and educational programs for traveling museum displays across the country.

more info here https://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=AwrEzNxrvEJef4sAqicQD2VH;_ylu=X3oDMTBtdXBkbHJyBHNlYwNmcC1hdHRyaWIEc2xrA3J1cmw-/RV=2/RE=1581460715/RO=11/RU=https://www.pcgs.com/News/Old-Pcgs-Inserts-Raise-Cash-For-New-Ana-Program/RK=0/RS=1N0Jzxequ5Odp2DtTIVWC8grCBc-

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston Yes, that is the article. Great detective work on your part.

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2020 10:06AM

I've got about 20 but I never thought of returning them. Several I cracked out to put in albums so I kept the labels (with before and after pics). A few weeks ago, I cracked out a lower grade 09s vdb to complete a raw album of circulate Lincoln cents. Just a reference for me.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would it hurt PCGS to mention this somewhere on the website? They sure like to keep a lot of information secret.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many of my modern coin and medal registry set line items were sourced from top pop NGC slabs.

I always mail the labels back to NGC so they can remove them from their pop reports after I cross them over.

I just keep a record of the old NGC label certificates for my records. Of course, most suffer from a grade drop when converting so occasionally it is a bit frustrating.

• Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭✭

From time to time when I have a couple, I've just turned them in at the PCGS table when I go to a large show.

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never had to for PCGS ... however I had couple cross to PCGS from NGC and all I did to do was send a photo of the label over a dated sheet of paper and emailed to NGC and presto ... it was removed

• Options
    MS66MS66 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:
    Wildly inflated pop reports hurt collectors far more than they hurt PCGS.

Seems like it could help if you're buying though, right?

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2023 4:04PM

I have hundreds of NGC, ANACS, and IGC tags accumulated from decades of crossovers to PCGS (returned with the newly holdered coins). Was told, unofficially, that the services do not pay for their returns anymore. I would be happy if they at least gave the equivalent credit toward submissions.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alefzero said:
    I have hundreds of NGC, ANACS, and IGC tags accumulated from decades of crossovers to PCGS (returned with the newly holdered coins). Was told, unofficially, that the services do not pay for their returns anymore. I would be happy if they at least gave the equivalent credit toward submissions.

I would be happy if they would just post a sentence or two in a FAQ telling collectors that we can or should return them, whether there is or is not a credit for doing so.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file