Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cool Columbian Half Dollar pickup from the Hidalgo Coin Club Show in McAllen, TX

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw this at a dealer's table yesterday afternoon as I was getting ready to pack up and leave. He offered it to me at $20 below what he had it priced at and I bought it. Even though someone put tape on it long, long ago, I still think it's a cool piece! If anyone has any additional info on these it would be much appreciated! Also, if anyone has advice on whether or not the tape can be removed (and how to do it), I'd be interested in that as well. I'm fairly certain the cardboard is forever stained by it, and I'm wondering if I just remove it from the coin with acetone if that's a bad thing for the piece as a whole value-wise.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet, put that baby in acetone.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's pretty cool and would leave it as-is. In general, I am of a mind of doing as little invasive work on numismatic items (and items of ephemera) as possible or required. Essentially, if you work on it then it becomes forever worked on, but if you leave it alone it remains as-is while still allowing the potential for a future owner to work on it.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not acetone the coin to remove the tape, and put the coin back into the packaging and then into protective sleeving.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why rmove it? XF is prettier right there in the carboard with what all the original old-time writing on it

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would keep it as it is, but that's me. The coin is likely to be unevenly toned because of the tape. Removing the tape won't change that. As it's a relatively common coin, I don't really see the upside to having an oddly toned Columbian half free of the holder.

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep it as is o:)

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That tape has done it's damage. Acetone possibly will make the coin look worse. The only thing you could do is strip it with a dip. I certainly believe it is worth much more left alone as is.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take it out and have it overstuck as an 1894. >:)

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Colombian half dollars are common but this item certainly is not. I would leave it as is. Very cool. Thank you for sharing!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

Thanks, everyone. I'll be keeping it as-is.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    kauwisckauwisc Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

Nice.

photo Commem Trail July 1985 Columian 1A p. 34.png

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just one more vote to keep it as is.....Sure, you could remove the tape from the coin...but it would have the visual difference in tarnish vs tape covered area...This way, your coin is original and the tape is part of the history. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks, everyone. I'll be keeping it as-is.> @kauwisc said:

Nice.

photo Commem Trail July 1985 Columian 1A p. 34.png

This is awesome- thank you!

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've handled a couple examples of the Wells, Fargo Columbian encased & a number more have been auctioned over the years in exonumia auctions as well. Keep it original -- it will lose 80-90% of its value as an exonumia item if the coin is removed & cleaned and I don't see a big future for the coin travelling on its own. Many of the cardboards that I've seen have had the 50c commem replaced with a lower grade coin with resultant damage to the cardboard.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would 100% leave it as is and put it in a currency holder as mentioned.

It's very cool and historic as is.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin would not have the provenance of not displayed just as is. There's an oversized currency sleeve to slide it in. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were they originally taped in? If so, it's a testament to the permanence of the tape.
    I would NOT pop the coin out.
    Cool as is. :)

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

See my comment about the Wells Fargo distribution in this thread:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12497461#Comment_12497461

You can get the tape off of the coin, but not the holder. If it were mine I would leave it as is. Your mileage may vary.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone will take the tape off. Acetone will not damage the coin. I would take a razor knife and cut around the half and take it out. Rinse it in acetone and then can still save the holder.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    That tape has done it's damage. Acetone possibly will make the coin look worse. The only thing you could do is strip it with a dip. I certainly believe it is worth much more left alone as is.

This.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

I don't believe some of you have used acetone very much. Acetone WILL NOT damage a coin. I use it on plenty of metals and have used it on coins with no negative effects.

• Options
    kauwisckauwisc Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

photo Commem Trail July 1985 Columian 1 p. 32.png

photo Commem Trail July 1985 Columian 1A p. 33.png

Courtesy of The Commemorative Trail the newsletter of the Society for U.S. Commemorative Coins, July 1985.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

To add to that: Yes acetone will not damage the coin. It will reveal the damage that has been done to the coin. By looking at the condition of the tape it has been there a long,long, time. Think about the burn spots coins get in a 2x2 when there is a pinhole in it. There will most likely be the same affect on the coin along the edge of the tape, not to mention the difference in toning under the tape.

@CaptHenway said:

@bsshog40 said:
    I don't believe some of you have used acetone very much. Acetone WILL NOT damage a coin. I use it on plenty of metals and have used it on coins with no negative effects.

I have four decades experience using acetone on coins. It does work, but if you cut it out and remove the tape all you will have is a mediocre coin and a damaged, virtually worthless holder. Leave it intact and you have a fascinating numismatic souvenir.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:
    Acetone will take the tape off. Acetone will not damage the coin. I would take a razor knife and cut around the half and take it out. Rinse it in acetone and then can still save the holder.

And then you'll have a common Columbian half dollar with fugly toning and a cardboard holder covered in old tape that's missing its coin instead of an interesting historical artifact. I'm not seeing the upside here, but maybe that's just me.

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    See my comment about the Wells Fargo distribution in this thread:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12497461#Comment_12497461

You can get the tape off of the coin, but not the holder. If it were mine I would leave it as is. Your mileage may vary.

That describes this coin perfectly.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2020 2:15PM

There is no way the coin itself would be worth near as much as the package. Get an older Capital Plastics holder like the one linked, remove insert and replace with your Wells Fargo package. There are collectors of Chicago World's Fair stuff, that would pay very well for something like this.

https://ebay.com/itm/1-Capital-Plastics-Holder-J-201-For-U-S-Proof-Sets-In-BLACK-Jet-Line/232545225895?hash=item3624c68ca7:g:NO8AAOSwY6FZ34uf

• Options

@davewesen said:
    There is no way the coin itself would be worth near as much as the package. Get an older Capital Plastics holder like the one linked, remove insert and replace with your Wells Fargo package. There are collectors of Chicago World's Fair stuff, that would pay very well for something like this.

https://ebay.com/itm/1-Capital-Plastics-Holder-J-201-For-U-S-Proof-Sets-In-BLACK-Jet-Line/232545225895?hash=item3624c68ca7:g:NO8AAOSwY6FZ34uf

That's a great idea- thank you!!

• Options

@MasonG said:

@bsshog40 said:

And then you'll have a common Columbian half dollar with fugly toning and a cardboard holder covered in old tape that's missing its coin instead of an interesting historical artifact. I'm not seeing the upside here, but maybe that's just me.

I agree, but I was under the presumption that the OP was thinking of taking it out of the holder. If it were mine, I'd leave it in that original holder also.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file