Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Do you collect sovereigns?

Do you collect gold sovereigns?
If so, show us some.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ThreeCentSilverFL said:
    Here is one of mine. Happy Saturday

Nice!
    Given my moniker , I may start a set sometime.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got to get me one of those some time! Gorgeous!

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve got a few. Like to pick these up when I can. Sniped these from eBay Below spot when gold price was at $1300.
    1907-M
    2005 (special year design)

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a sovereign or sovereign sized ( as close as possible ) gold coin from each British monarch from Elizabeth I to Elizabeth II. I do not have any pictures.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve got several for sale on the BST for spot!

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman said:

@ThreeCentSilverFL said:

Nice!

There are man ways to collect sovereigns. By monarch, reverse, date, mint, type to name a few. There are also a load of varieties. What would you collect? A sovereign collection can grow quickly and get out of hand if you aren't careful.

• Options

@Exbrit said:

@Yorkshireman said:

@ThreeCentSilverFL said:

Nice!

There are man ways to collect sovereigns. By monarch, reverse, date, mint, type to name a few. There are also a load of varieties. What would you collect? A sovereign collection can grow quickly and get out of hand if you aren't careful.

Not sure yet. Maybe by type and monarch

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just pucked up two PCGS pieces: 1918-C MS63 and 1918-I MS64 for $5 over melt at a show.
    There are some great historical pieces available for great prices.
    Also bought a raw 1902 for $320 (melt was $379), which is why I don't put prices on gold.

thefinn
  • Options

@thefinn said:
    I just pucked up two PCGS pieces: 1918-C MS63 and 1918-I MS64 for $5 over melt at a show.
    There are some great historical pieces available for great prices.
    Also bought a raw 1902 for $320 (melt was $379), which is why I don't put prices on gold.

Great prices - I've never been that lucky.

• Options
    edited January 28, 2020 1:33PM

@Yorkshireman said:

@Exbrit said:

@Yorkshireman said:

@ThreeCentSilverFL said:

Nice!

Not sure yet. Maybe by type and monarch

That would be a nice collection. Talk to Bill Jones if you go that route. Not so much about sovereigns - but he recently posted a nice series about the Monarchs. He might have some good pointers. I started with just the St. George reverse - then expanded to George III to Elizabeth II - then narrowed my focus to Victoria, Edward VII and George V. Some carry hefty premiums.

• Options

@Weiss said:
    Collect? Dragons are more for hoarding...

Hoarding is good - but sovereigns are highly collectable and there are many exceptional collections out there.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got a few, though the doubles are my favorite. I mean, what's not to like, gold and many of them have a heroic dude on a cool horse on the reverse.

My collection of regular sovereigns is pretty much just a random bullion pile (and the reference to a dragon is quite apt I think--see the thread on coin collector types, I think dragons are a type!).

My more collectible types are doubles or halves for some reason.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

An Australian Sovereign

• Options

Nice photo - that's one I need to upgrade. Did you take the photo and if so, what program are you using for the background?

• Options

@Stork said:
    Got a few, though the doubles are my favorite. I mean, what's not to like, gold and many of them have a heroic dude on a cool horse on the reverse.

My collection of regular sovereigns is pretty much just a random bullion pile (and the reference to a dragon is quite apt I think--see the thread on coin collector types, I think dragons are a type!).

My more collectible types are doubles or halves for some reason.

Very nice - nice photo too.

• Options

@Exbrit said:

@Weiss said:

Hoarding is good - but sovereigns are highly collectable and there are many exceptional collections out there.

Nice little hoard you have there.

• Options

@Yorkshireman said:

@Exbrit said:

@Weiss said:

Nice little hoard you have there.

ATS? Or @weiss?

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Exbrit said:
    Nice photo - that's one I need to upgrade. Did you take the photo and if so, what program are you using for the background?

At the risk of boring you, my process is quite amateur.

After I have taken the image I open the file in the freePaint.Net program so I can use the ellipse tool to get a nice round image.
    (Then invert selection fill selection to get the black background.)
    That would give an image such as above.

Typically I then open the obverse and reverse images one at a time in Photoshop and make the image sizes (dimensions) identical.

Next I open the obverse image in MSPaint, widen the view and paste the reverse in to get both images side by side and then, voila, I save it.

I'm sure there's an easier way but this works for me.

• Options

Thanks - they do look nice.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

No... But I truly hope that those that do enjoy the pursuit and numerous series that exit under various Monarchs.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@Yorkshireman said:

@ThreeCentSilverFL said:

Nice!

Would you go with the rarer issues for your type set or higher graded commen sovereigns?

• Options

@3stars said:
    Finished a basic monarch type set. Still looking for George III, IV, and William IV to take it back a bit. Then there are the different reverses, mintmarks and half sovereigns to play with.

Nice set - adding different reverse types and mint marks will more than double your current set. Going back further adds even more. It would be a very nice set once completed - well worth collecting. Very interesting history to boot.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I saw that there were over 200 different combinations of obverse, reverse and mintmarks for sovereigns. Not going to make it that far!

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2020 11:40AM

Not that many unless you are taking into account die numbers and varieties - then there are more depending upon how minor of a variety you are collecting. For the set you currently have -- off the top of my head - you have:

Queen Victoria: Young head and Sydney Mint issues:

GB shield (not counting die numbers) and GB STG
    Special issue reverses such as the 1989, 2002 shield, 2005 and 2012 STG, and five from 2017

AUS Sydney type 1 and 2 (1855-1870)

AUS Queen Victoria young head:
    AUS Sydney and Melbourne issues with shield and STG reverse

AUS Queen Victoria Jubilee head:
    AUS Sydney and Melbourne

AUS Veil or Old head:
    AUS Sydney, Melbourne, and Perth

Edward VII

GB; AUS Sydney, Melbourne and Perth; CAN STG

George V

GB; AUS Sydney, Melbourne and Perth; CAN; IND and SA STG

@3stars

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know that one has to be exhaustive in collecting sovereigns. I know that I sold basically all of mine, excepting a decent 1879 London Mint and 1913C and 1914C Canadian. Still like them and get the odd piece here or there - nice coin.
    I like the early Vicky copper farthings 1838-1860 that utilized a sovereign obverse and are quite beautiful at times in their own right.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

there are so many ways to collect sovereigns - more so than any other coin that I know of. Unless you want a very large collection (i.e. The Bentley collection) you can put together sets from very small to extremely large for a single coin. Over 200 years for the modern sovereign (1817 to the present), five countries and seven mints.

@7jaguars. Sounds like you kept three good ones.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be weird to see Charles and / or William on a coin in the future.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

I know these aren't technically sovereigns, but I figure they are close enough. I've been working on a complete set, and it's surprisingly challenging:

• Options

@TouchOfGrey said:
    I know these aren't technically sovereigns, but I figure they are close enough. I've been working on a complete set, and it's surprisingly challenging:

>

You could always start collecting South Africian sovereigns. The 1923and 1924 are pricey, but the rest are easily obtained.

• Options

@Exbrit said:

@TouchOfGrey said:

>

You could always start collecting South Africian sovereigns. The 1923and 1924 are pricey, but the rest are easily obtained.

I appreciate the excuse to spend more money.

• Options

@TouchOfGrey said:

@Exbrit said:

@TouchOfGrey said:

>

I appreciate the excuse to spend more money.

Just think of the fun you would have. You could then expand to the other six mints. It could be almost like gold stacking.

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

What’s the best book on sovereigns of the British empire/commonwealth?

• Options

I'd start with Marsh's The Gold Soverign (revised by Steve Hill). There are a few others (dated) that provides some very good information as well.

• Options
    happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2020 9:51AM

Just started to collect these interesting coins. Here are 2 of mine.

• Options

@Crackout said:
    Here are my Victoria's:

I need some nice photographs like these - nice job.

• Options

@happycollecting said:
    Just started to collect these interesting coins. Here are 2 of mine.

Have fun with them. There are so many ways (sets) that you can build of these - much more than any other coin given the length of time they have been minted and the number of mints/countries involved - not to mention monarchs. A lot of history - good books on the sovereign and plenty of interest.