Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1945 10c NGC 66 Winged Liberty / Mercury Dime

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thoughts on this coin?

Was nice to find a NGC 66 that showed some semblance of a reverse. They are generally all so dull and lifeless.

It's also in the same holder as one of my favorite dimes that my dad gave to me, which really helps tie it together. It's not FSB but close enough for me (for now).

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

• Options

I forgot about it a couple times and when I had a moment, I couldn't find the thing. That momentary heartbreak was enough to know I had to have it.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very pretty!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Merc and has some luster.... I sure do like the old Mercs and WLH's... coins of my youth....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like it looks nice.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks about as close as you’re going to get to FB with this date from the philly mint....unless you want to spend a few thousand.

Nice merc!

• Options
    StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Nice coin...looks lustrous with some original skin!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't be too concerned about obtaining a gem FB 1945 Merc. The coin will set you back several thousand dollars and all for just a bit more separation on the reverse bands.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

Nice Merc!

There are plenty of MS66 FB Mercs for under $80 on ebay.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although you won’t find a Philadelphia coin (1945) for that price!

Higashiyama
  • Options

@TomB said:
    I wouldn't be too concerned about obtaining a gem FB 1945 Merc. The coin will set you back several thousand dollars and all for just a bit more separation on the reverse bands.

I can think of $5-10k worth of reasons to not buy one. ;-)

@Commencents said:

Nice Merc!

There are plenty of MS66 FB Mercs for under $80 on ebay.

Thank you! It kept catching my eye and I couldn't get it off my mind. Haven't had a coin do that in awhile. 1945 mercury dime of all things, lol.

• Options

@ShadyDave said:
    Looks about as close as you’re going to get to FB with this date from the philly mint....unless you want to spend a few thousand.

Nice merc!

There are some where everything is split without hits, looks gorgeous, save for this small smudge on the far right middle that just rounds it out a little much and connects just enough.

It's gotta suck "finding one" and that couple thousand dollar bugger smiles up at you under 20x. Oof.

• Options

@ricko said:
    Nice Merc and has some luster.... I sure do like the old Mercs and WLH's... coins of my youth....Cheers, RickO

the RickO stamp of approval B)

You seem to always tease out memories of my childhood spent delivering newspapers. The "old" ladies gave me barber, v nickels, buffs, some mercs not tons, Kennedy were everywhere, quarters were still mostly good condition silver, some people only paid in silver, cents were mostly wheat with two years of memorial cents. I had one lady give me a 3 cent piece as long as I promised not to use it as a dime.

Actually here it is lol I had it in with my small world coins. Can't believe I still have it. I haven't looked at this thing in forever.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin will give you its' 3 Cents worth.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file