Home U.S. Coin Forum

Calling Colonial Coin Collectors....Looking For Opinions....

Kindred4uKindred4u Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited February 20, 2020 6:04PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Recent addition to my collection and asking for opinions on grade it received. I thought it would grade higher than it did, but looking for feedback if I should consider a PCGS crossover and upgrade request. Pictures aren’t high res I know, but from an iPad Pro.

There are very few of these known to exist and auction houses have asked for their consideration when and if I consider selling it.

Tagged:

Comments

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should get a bump for saying Excelsior.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

“.. if I should consider a PCGS crossover and upgrade request.”

As far as I know, you can select an option to cross at a lower minimum grade, but not a higher one.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

To my eye, it's either a nice VG or barely a fine. Would benefit from a crossover, but I don't know that it would upgrade.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin @Kindred4u :)
    Not my area of expertise though [I'm not an expert in any area of coins] but someone here can surely offer sound advice.
    Thanks for posting it here.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kindred4u....Welcome aboard....What a great coin...Where did you find such a treasure? Cheers, RickO

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks fine where it is now IMHO.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it as a VG-10. In hand to judge the flatness of the strike and condition of the surface I might get to F-12 MAX!

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally would cherish this straight-graded slab. Judging solely from these pictures it appears rather porous.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file