Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you think this 1961 5C should be sent in for grading? Full Steps?

vcom21vcom21 Posts: 1
edited January 22, 2020 10:55PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Years ago, I received several 1961 5C as change. I collected coins with my father as a kid so I typically checked all of my change for outliers. I always new these ones were different but couldn't figure out why. I did some research and it looks like these may have been part of someone's collection. This is just one of them. They don't appear to be proofs. Can you tell me what you think? Thanks in advance for your input!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

Not full steps, the bottom step is broken and several contact marks on other areas of the steps.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you think the value is vs the cost of grading?

That is the approach to take.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That nickel is not worth the grading fee.... Not FS ...Good album coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same as all the above.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a fantastic example for the date, probably in the top 1% for step detail, but as others have said, no TPG will call that coin full steps. That spot below the third pillar is where dreams (and FS designations) go to die.

Not sure if there are any raw FS nickel collectors left in the world, but if there are, I am certain they would love that coin as a place holder.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another no vote, a close call but not FS and not worth grading without the FS.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file