Home Metal Detecting
Options

Gold! Do you hunt it?

CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 22, 2020 1:47PM in Metal Detecting

I have recently started taking up a huge interest in Gold. As in its formations in quartz. How this process occurs, likely areas for nuggets to become trapped. That being said armed with my detector and some tools and a tad bit of knowledge I am itching at getting out. Only thing is my home state is Indiana. I would love to know if we have any members here that have a interest in the subject. (Posted here for more views)

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you find a lot of gold :)@CRH4LIFE

Found this on the Indiana Dept. of Natural Resources website
    more info here:
    https://www.in.gov/dnr/water/7325.htm

Recreational Gold Prospecting
    Panning for gold is definitely alive and well in Indiana. Gold is not a naturally occurring metal in Indiana. Instead, it was gold slowly relocated here from Canada by the glaciers. As such, you will not get rich finding gold in Indiana. But gold prospecting is a great hobby that many people and families enjoy. These resources should help you get out and hopefully, find some gold for yourself.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not heard much about gold prospecting in Indiana... Good luck in your searches... I would recommend taking a vacation to more well known areas (i.e. CA, AZ etc.) and do some serious prospecting.... Still lots of gold to be found.. .Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you need motivation to become a prospector, YouTube has a bazillion gold hunting clips for North and West of you. Looks like you're going to be getting wet cause the best finds seem to be in the cracks under flowing water. Have fun and good luck. Me, I'm digging my gold in the surf, at low tide. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Gold panning or gold MD'ing is great fun.... and yes, the reward rarely compensates the efforts....but it is still better than laying on the couch and watching TV....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Gold panning or gold MD'ing is great fun.... and yes, the reward rarely compensates the efforts....but it is still better than laying on the couch and watching TV....Cheers, RickO

That's exactly how I see it. Fresh air in the country, down in a creek with excellent clean water and imagining I'm back 170 years ago during the gold rush. Those guys were tough!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

When hunting for glacial deposited gold, you need to look at the terrain. Imagine a glacier that gets interrupted by elevation (rise or fall) and concentrate your efforts there. Wherever it slows or accelerated on it's retreat to Canada is where it will drop the most gold. I know Indiana is not known for it's mountains but it does have natural terrain that can be investigated.

good luck,
    bob
    PS: may have best results from sluicing than detecting.....but give it a try.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG .... Good points...and MD'ing is usually better for nuggets....though nuggets are not as common...sluicing is good for both if you can set up for it and do it in volume. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

All very sound and taken in advice! I will post updates on this thread after my first go around! Will post general location as well possibly

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @AUandAG .... Good points...and MD'ing is usually better for nuggets....though nuggets are not as common...sluicing is good for both if you can set up for it and do it in volume. Cheers, RickO

Yup, I hunt it. Used dynamite it my early years hunting for seams, lodes and pockets. Hard rock before detectors were ever used in mining. I'm a really lousy hunter, though.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG....Good luck in your hunts.... No gold where I am now....I did a lot of panning and nugget shooting when I lived out west....only found two good nuggets...but lots of dust when panning...Cheers, RickO

• Options

Hi RickO! I know that you lived not far from where I live in Washington state (I live on Whidbey Island). Where did you use to pan for gold? I know that in the late 1800s and early 1900's they used to hard rock mine for silver. I've been in a few of the old abandoned mines when I was young and foolish (not prepared for it) up hiking in the Silverton and Monte Cristo area along the Mountain Loop Highway in the Northern Cascades. I know that people pan up there but I don't know if anyone has an actual mine.

• Options
    edited February 18, 2020 9:21AM

@Newbiedoobiedoo...I used to pan in some streams on the East side of the Cascades....A fellow I worked with gave me some information on streams that produced some gold dust and mini-nuggets.... Not sure if I still have that packet. I will look for it. If I find it, I will get you better information. I never found a lot in Washington state, just enough to keep me interested and enjoyed the search. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check with your local land management and see if there is a known gold district for your area.

• Options

Thanks Ricko and rte592! I know that folks have panned for gold but I never really heard where (generally) they would do that. Sorry I didn't reply right away. I was about 200 miles away from my computer. 😁