Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

NYC Show Pickups - All Mexican 8 Reales

Managed to pick up a few more dates for my 8R portrait date set, and upgraded some coins in my 8R type set. Let me know which is your favorite:

1759-Mo 8 Reales in PCGS MS-62 - The big boy of the group. Love the strike!

1801-Mo 8 Reales in NGC MS-62 - Flashy, well struck and no planchet weakness. Forgive the bad seller pics.

1804-Mo 8 Reales in PCGS MS-62 - Luster + crusty color. Not quite @Boosibri 's 1804, but will do for now :smile:

1805-Mo 8 Reales in PCGS AU-58 - Nice reverse strike!

1806-Mo 8 Reales in NGC AU-58 - Well struck, frosty and semi-PL with rim toning.

1859-Mo 8 Reales in PCGS MS-62 - super PL obverse.

Tagged:

Comments

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Pillar...without a doubt!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive spread of 8R's! I love the pillar as well, but that last C&R is probably awesome in hand.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Pillar gets my vote, too! Beautiful strike and surfaces. Nice!

My current "Box of 20"

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Senator32 I think you meant super PL reverse on the Republic 8 reales. In Mexico, by law, the obverse is the side of the arms (eagle) not the other way around. This is perhaps not known by many, and solve a lot of discussions about what is obverse and reverse in Mexico. Great group of coins! Congrats.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice original looking coins all ! The 1859 MO MH often comes PL ish.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:

You are correct sir.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2020 9:36AM

The pillar is my favorite, as well. Some very strong money realized for nice original high AU - MS pieces i was tracking.

• Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

I noticed the same thing. A few AU58 8Rs I figured I could win for $400-500ish went for nearly $800! Guess that means the Mo market is strong and growing...which is a good thing.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    The pillar is my favorite, as well. Some very strong money realized for nice original high AU - MS pieces i was tracking.

@Senator32 said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

I noticed the same thing. A few AU58 8Rs I figured I could win for $400-500ish went for nearly $800! Guess that means the Mo market is strong and growing...which is a good thing.

What dates went for strong money that would have otherwise gone for $500 ish ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

1788 in 58, for example.

• ClioClio Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning pieces man! Heck of a shopping trip haha.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super Pillar Dollar.

• MeijiMeiji Posts: 170 ✭✭

Very nice mix of Reales. My favorite being the 1759 pillar.