Comments

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me Neither! B)

BTW, no photo here

Ken
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Standing Liberty quarter made from 1916 to 1930. The dates wore off fairly quickly.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't see the date. I do see silver, though.

• Options

@bearcave said:
    Me Neither! B)

BTW, no photo here

Thank you Im new and sent it before it had finished downloading it.. do u see it now?

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say that coin got its twenty five cents worth.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:

Yup. About $3 worth of .900 fine silver.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Type two Standing Liberty quarter.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it’s a very worn standing liberty quarter. Other than being cool it doesn’t have value above melt.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one just like it. The date was originally at the bottom of the obverse underneath the Standing Liberty.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, see the coin, but not the date. It is worn down, I would say someone for sure, got their .25 out of it! B)

Ken
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anything you got free silver

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

You must be very young!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is what it may have looked like a few years ago.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:

No full head, either.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lockedup

A write-up by Ron Guth on the Standing Liberty, “The Standing Liberty Quarter Dollar was designed by Hermon A. MacNeil. The initial design included a bare-breasted Liberty, which was redesigned quickly. Instead of covering Liberty's breast with the same flowing material of the rest of her dress, the designer clothed her in a coat of mail. The reverse design was also re-worked in 1917; the eagle was moved more to the center of the coin and three of the thirteen stars that used to be on the sides of the reverse were now placed beneath the majestic bird. Beginning in 1925, the dates on the coins were recessed, giving them more protection from wear. Well struck examples are the most desirable and much attention is focused on Liberty's head. So-called "Full Head" examples (those with complete details) often bring considerable premiums over poorly struck examples, but attention should also be paid to the rivets on the shield. Any coin with a Full Head and full rivets is a true prize. Mintmarks on this type ("D" for Denver or "S" for San Francisco) appear on the obverse just to the left of, and slightly above, the date. The small M that appears to the right of the date is the designer's initial.”

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/category/standing-liberty-quarter-1916-1930/111

• Options
    ElectricityElectricity Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2020 9:26PM

Gonna be hard to get a date, but you can discount 1916 as it would have stars under the eagle on the reverse.

You can also narrow down the possible dates to 11 out of the 14 possible years this coin was minted, due to the (S) mint mark ? located to the immediate Northeast of where the date should be

(S) stand for San Francisco where this coin was minted

Hope this helps in pointing you in the right direction on how to use some diagnostics

Some people use a specific acid called “ nic a date “ on the date to “Bring it back to readable”

Could this coin of possibly been used by all the guys on the other thread with no phone? 😆

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a type 2a from 17-24 with the raised date.

It would be pretty unusual to see a type 1 reverse on a 24 BTW. ;)

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

@PTVETTER said:
    You must be very young!

Actually 39 but new at this

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Standing Liberty quarter made from 1916 to 1930. The dates wore off fairly quickly.

Type 2 - 1917 to 1930. This is probably the variety before the date was recessed, so probably 1917-1924.

thefinn
  • Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2020 6:06AM

@Electricity said:
    ...minted, due to the (S) mint mark ? located to the immediate Northeast of where the date should be

Some people use a specific acid called “ nic a date “ on the date to “Bring it back to readable”

OK, I'll bited and hv to ask:
    Enlighten me on how you come up with a SF origin? Not overly an expert here but is that a typo on the location of the MM? (NW of date instead of NE?)

Does Nic a Date works on silver too?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Luckedup ..... Welcome aboard.... An SLQ, San Francisco mint (S mm)....no date due to wear.. a silver coin, no numismatic value remaining. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ElectricityElectricity Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

@Sweetpie said:

@Electricity said:
    ...minted, due to the (S) mint mark ? located to the immediate Northeast of where the date should be

OK, I'll bited and hv to ask:
    Enlighten me on how you come up with a SF origin? Not overly an expert here but is that a typo on the location of the MM? (NW of date instead of NE?)

Does Nic a Date works on silver too?

Thank you Sweetpie for correcting me, you are correct NW of date is where the Mint Mark would be located

As for the (S) if you zoom in on the picture it looks like an S or 5 or something else, just giving the poster an idea

Nic a date could possibly work on this coin, no harm in trying

• Options

I’m pretty darn sure Nic A Date doesn’t work on silver. It works on the different responses of nickel and copper to a particular acid.

• Options

Thanks yaw for the information.. is there any app for Android that might help magnify a coin to look for doubling.? And what kind of acid is it sweet pie and is it easy to do?

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can remember when that coin could buy a pack of Camels. a bottle of Coke and a 2c pretzel.
    Sadly, now it's only value is as a conversation piece on a coin forum.

• Options

@Luckedup said:
    Thanks yaw for the information.. is there any app for Android that might help magnify a coin to look for doubling.? And what kind of acid is it sweet pie and is it easy to do?

You don’t really need an app. Just take a picture and then zoom in. That would be the same as what any app would do. A small Baush & Lomb triplet loupe might be the best all around option. It costs a bit more but in the end it’s a lot more convenient.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are going to collect coins, buy a Red Book

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@TurtleCat said:

@Luckedup said:

You don’t really need an app. Just take a picture and then zoom in. That would be the same as what any app would do. A small Baush & Lomb triplet loupe might be the best all around option. It costs a bit more but in the end it’s a lot more convenient.

Thank you for the advice..

• Options

@Treashunt said:

What's a red book?

• Options

@Luckedup said:

@Treashunt said:

What's a red book?

It’s the guidebook of US coins. The current one is nearly a year old (from printing) and a new one will be along soon. But other than prices (which aren’t helpful except for relative prices) not much will change.

https://coinweek.com/coins/supplies/new-2020-red-book-reports-dramatic-market-changes/

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file