Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2017 D Roosevelt Dime. True Doubled Die or Machine Doubling?

I'm still learning how to differentiate between machine doubling and a true doubled die, but I have been reading a lot and have even discovered that both errors can be found on a single coin. Other than the obverse and reverse image of the whole coin, all other photos were taken with a USB microscope. Several of the letters and images on both sides appear to be doubled, including the ear on the obverse and the flames and bottoms of branches on the reverse.
I tried getting photos under various lighting and angles and hope that it will enable you to help me make better sense of what I'm seeing. Thanks again!

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although there are known examples, coins with true doubled dies on both sides are extremely uncommon. So, if you see doubling on both sides that is a big tip off that it is almost certainly MD.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the CU forums @HRN.

Info on MD:
    http://www.error-ref.com/machine-doubling/

DD versus other Forms of Doubling
    Snapshot of the first page:

More at:
    http://conecaonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/StrikeDoublingFlyer-1.pdf

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks MD to me.

• Options
    CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Not what you are hoping. Machine Doubling also known as strike doubling. If you are able I would purchase a Doubled Die Obverse on eBay. You can find great examples as the 1995/1972 *1972 DDO has several stages that are cheap * Start with those and go from there. The modern doubles dies found now a days are not drastic enough to be seen with out a loupe or x150000000 magnification. The die process has changed significantly to stop that Chance of ever seeing prominent doubled dies again. Great pictures and great use of light. I would get some in hand examples and study on some more! Also you can use the “Search” bar for topics discussed here and I’m sure you will find a heap of info as well! Welcome to the forums :)

• Options

Thank you for your insight, time, and assistance everyone!

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pictures

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pics!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HRN....Welcome aboard.... Machine doubling (also called strike doubling) on your coins... as those above have stated. There are good links posted and a search of the forum will give you hundreds of pictures/drawings for reference and learning. Good luck in your searches...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take a good close look at that example and you will become familiar with what machine or strike doubling looks like.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file