Home Sports Talk
Options

Ever dine at a athlete/coach owned restaurant?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 19, 2020 8:05PM in Sports Talk

Jacques Demers owned a place near me. Group of friends went over for the happy hour. Cheap beer and quarter hot dogs.

The beer was ok..I skipped the dogs.

Comments

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stan Musial & Biggie's; standard steak/seafood place, but Musial was actually there most nights and would stop by every table at some point.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ate at Don Nelson't place when he was the Bucks HC.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

One time when I was in Arlington, TX, for a Rangers game back in the early 1990s, I stopped at Bobby Valentine's for lunch.

Another time when I was back home in San Diego, CA, I stopped at Junior Seau's restaurant.

Both were pretty good.

Steve

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

I would've loved to have gone to Mattingly's 23 (I even had a Mattingly's 23 shirt!) but I didn't get the chance. :(

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ate at Mike Shannon's place, when I was at the National Sports Card Convention in St. Louis.

BEST rib eye I have ever eaten!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hit Majerele's Sports Grill several times when catching a game downtown and not an athlete, but Cooperstown by the Dbacks ballpark was Alice Cooper's baseball resaurant.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Hit Majerele's Sports Grill several times when catching a game downtown and not an athlete, but Cooperstown by the Dbacks ballpark was Alice Cooper's baseball resaurant.

Coop is sort of an athlete. Caught his show in Tucson when it was 108 at sunset. No 70 year old mortal could perform like that.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had one lunch a Jack Dempsey’s in New York City, shortly before it closed in the early 1970s.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Coop is sort of an athlete. Caught his show in Tucson when it was 108 at sunset. No 70 year old mortal could perform like that.

He did enough commercials for them, I always viewed him as part of the Dbacks.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2020 11:33AM

Blaze pizza. Once a week.

Lebron is part owner. Bought in near the beginning, and has made another fortune.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baltimore Colts linebacker, Geno Marchettee (sp), had a chain of Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurants in the 1960s. They seemed to be popular, but disappeared in the early 1970s.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I had one lunch a Jack Dempsey’s in New York City, shortly before it closed in the early 1970s.

I remember my parents took me to Dempsey's restaurant; I was only 10 and didn't even know who he was. He was there though, walked around to all the tables, meeting the guests.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

YAO (Yao Ming) Restaurant & Bar........delectable Chinese cuisine here in Houston. many years ago i decided to roll the dice and take a first date there. it turned out to be so good i got lucky afterward.

thanks Yao!