Home Sports Talk

Were you ever on television?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Three times here.

First time I was in college and the local public TV station did an hour program on the school. i was in an acting class to pick up the last 4 credits to get into business school. Felt like an idiot but i wish i had a copy now. :#

Second time I was in line to vote in 1978 or so and the CBS affiliate showed my mug to the world. Wish i had a MAGA hat back then. ;)

Third time a bunch of munitions were found in a dumpster outside of my apartment. Local guy asked me for my reaction. Told him it was no big deal around here.

Comments

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

that beats having your picture on the post office wall.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once. I was at a Friday night high school football game, and they showed me for a second.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, featured on a local morning kids show when I was in second grade for winning a March of Dimes reading contest with sponsored donations to them for each book read. My grandparents were the only ones with a VCR at the time, recorded it, and I had it converted to DVD a few years back. I was supposed to be on the next year, finishing 2nd or 3rd, but was sick that day so only mentioned by name then. I'm sure I've been on a couple sports broadcasts briefly and very tiny in the crowd too.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I coached freshman football in Colorado, was interviewed for the local news after my first game as a coach. Was a last second win, great day.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Yes, featured on a local morning kids show when I was in second grade for winning a March of Dimes reading contest with sponsored donations to them for each book read. My grandparents were the only ones with a VCR at the time, recorded it, and I had it converted to DVD a few years back. I was supposed to be on the next year, finishing 2nd or 3rd, but was sick that day so only mentioned by name then. I'm sure I've been on a couple sports broadcasts briefly and very tiny in the crowd too.

Well done. 👍

The March of Dimes over the years has been my favorite charity for donations.

While in the sixth grade, i performed in a TV commercial which ran for two weeks in the local Philadelphia area. Word got around and i was like a mini-celebrity at the school.

I didn't mind talking about the experience with my friends, but swarms of kids would come up to me each day, especially at recess, and want to shake my hand and ask me questions, etc, even signed a number of autographs. It was sort of fun the first day, but after that i tired of it quickly and couldn't stand it.

So i received a taste of what it's like to be a celebrity and i didn't like it one bit.

With the exception of the baseball park, to this day i have never bothered a celebrity in public or asked for their autograph, mainly because of my personal experience of understanding just how irritating that can be.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow dude. Andy Warhol was right.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was interviewed about my views on the state of the local economy. The local CBS affiliate interviewed my wife about airport security after 9-11.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

I don't think I would want to be famous. You can't even go out for a burger without people swarming you. Hey, everybody just stand back and let me eat my dang fries, then I'll sign your napkins!

@Coinstartled said:
    Wow dude. Andy Warhol was right.

Two weeks for me, i wish it had been only fifteen minutes. LOL

• nebishnebish Posts: 45 ✭✭✭

I had end zone seats for a Thursday night University Miami at Pitt (old stadium). You could see us for extra points.

Recently I was on TV during the 2016 election cycle. I went to both Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump campaign rallies that came to my area. I wasn't a "supporter" of either, just a curious observer, however at the Bernie rally they put me with a group of the fans that were directly behind the stage! So everyone around me is cheering and going nuts at every comment Sanders makes and I just sit there stone faced. Anytime the camera showed a wide angle shot of the podium I as there.

My wife was on ESPN College Gameday, she was in the crowd and the camera zoomed right to her.

@doubledragon said:
    I don't think I would want to be famous. You can't even go out for a burger without people swarming you. Hey, everybody just stand back and let me eat my dang fries, then I'll sign your napkins!

For years i sat close to Steve Van Buren at the racetrack. I had many chats with him about college football which was his favorite topic. He didn't like discussing the pros or virtually anything else for some unknown reason.

I never asked Steve for his autograph, even though an average of two or three kids would come to his table, ask for his autograph, and Steve was always happy to oblige.

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

For years i sat close to Steve Van Buren at the racetrack. I had many chats with him about college football which was his favorite topic. He didn't like discussing the pros or virtually anything else for some unknown reason.

I never asked Steve for his autograph, even though an average of two or three kids would come to his table, ask for his autograph, and Steve was always happy to oblige.

There was a guy in the trading card section not too long ago that was at a coffee shop in Canada, and in walks Wayne Gretzky. He said that people swarmed him, and wanted his autograph. After Wayne got his coffee and a biscuit, they followed him out into the parking lot. Wayne had a great attitude about it, and signed pretty much everything that they stuck in front of him.

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

About 10 years ago, I was chosen to drive the lead car at the Phillies Celebrity wall of fame induction ceremony. They did it every year and I was normally at the back of the small parade around the track inside the stadium. I had gotten to know the guy in charge over the years and that year he chose me as the lead driver. Naturally the cameras followed the lead car around the stadium and there were multiple shots of the driver. My cell phone was going off like crazy while this was happening live.
    Having done this over the years, I got to meet many of the Phillies greats, like Jim Bunning, Dick Allen, Greg Luzinski and others.
    At the time, i was working at a Toyota (Phillies sponsor) dealer and since we let them use a few of our cars in the mini parade, we always got to send the drivers as well. I was always the first name on the driver detail.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes....And your point is?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone remember the show "Midnight Special"? Ran on Friday nights. I was in the audience while Olivia Newton-John sang, "I Honestly Love You". Just a high school student, dreamed she was singing it directly to me.
    These shows are still on YouTube!

peacockcoins

@braddick said:
    Does anyone remember the show "Midnight Special"? Ran on Friday nights. I was in the audience while Olivia Newton-John sang, "I Honestly Love You". Just a high school student, dreamed she was singing it directly to me.

Great show. All live with no lip synch.

I saw ONJ in Vegas in 1978. Opener was Kenny Rogers. Second row center. She was quite beautiful.

• 1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭

Local upstate NY news station interviewed myself and my two sons at Watkins Glen for the NASCAR race this summer. Also was on a local news cast back in Omaha in the late 70s at the local skateboard park.

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the late 1970s or early 1980s, a local news crew was covering a Harlem Globetrotters game in San Diego. I found myself about second row, dead center in one of their shots.

Steve

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@braddick said:

Don't forget it's competitor - Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. I loved both those shows.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.

@dallasactuary said:

@Coinstartled said:

@braddick said:

Don't forget it's competitor - Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. I loved both those shows.

One or both simulcasted to FM. If you had a decent stereo, you didn't have to rely on tinny television speakers.

edited January 20, 2020 6:38AM

It should also be noted that my 2 second appearance on television at a high school football game wasn't my only fame. I was also pictured in a newspaper in 1993 when our mites football team won the city championship. Yes indeed, that football team was legendary, and unbeaten. I was on the defensive line. I loved getting after the quarterback, and I had a sack in the championship game. It should also be noted that after that game I couldn't walk down the street in my neighborhood without being swarmed. I also seem to recall receiving a free rocket pop from our neighborhood ice cream truck driver. Yes sir, fame certainly had it's advantages. These days, I am famous at my local Walmart neighborhood market because I shop there a lot, and I receive a free apple if the right employee is working.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very briefly for one of those “man on the street” questions about investing, of all things.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?