Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My Day at the NYINC

Actually started even before I got there. While in transit, I received a package from Cacheman. Anyway, learned how inconsiderate was the LIRR. They are shutting down the main line between Mineola and Jamaica. Anyone who was planning on getting to the City by train, on Saturday, better have an alternative. If I go, I may take the Babylon line. (I realize this rant is meaningless to anyone outside of the New York metro area).

Be that as it may, like a cow in a fresh field of grass, I began to graze. It was a fairly rewarding day.
Steven Itkin had two medals that fitted my horsey and Dutch areas of interest. Nothing special, though.
However, things picked up rapidly. I ended up at Karl Stephens' table; doing so since possibly as early as 1978. Two really nice silver German States minors, a better example of a Stuttgart shooting medal than what I already had. And somewhat out of my field, but highly recommended, a 1 1/2 taler from Braunschweig Wolfenbuttel. I guess to offset the minors?

Paid a visit to one of my personal favorites, Renaissance coins, who as usual, was sharing a table with Peter Jencius. Who may have been out publicizing his new book on Vatican coinage; 20th century stuff, I believe.

Can't do a show without a stop at Donald Young's table. Much to my delight, he had a J A Restall silver award medal. I picked it up literally as he pulled his hand away after placing it down. I then walked over to the other side of the aisle, to check out again a papal medal offered by Allen Berman. It was just one of those things I couldn't resist. And as I was seated at the table, I noted a magnificent (in my eyes) follis of Tiberius II sitting next to an unusual half follis of Maurice Tiberius. Very excited about those Byzantines.

I forgot to keep some cash aside, meant to buy coin trays, but oh well. I hope to be able to return, but not feeling too well. The weather is turning sucky, the railroad is out on Saturday (unless I want to drive a few miles south to a differnent train line.

Saw Gene, of course, and welcomed Zohar to the States. I saw EVillageProwler prowling around one or two aisles away, but then lost sight of him. As catching a train on the Oyster Bay line is a hassle, I had to leave, but hope to return.
Looking forward to the reports of other forum members!

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Great report harasha. Looking forward to seeing the new loot.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to some pics. Thanks for posting.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry I did not get to meet you

If your around Friday meet at Mr Eureka’s table late afternoon for wine and cheese

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won't be able to come in today, but I hope to be there on Sunday.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lucky guys you are...
    we are digging out of 3 feet (within 6 hours) of snow on Vancouver Island.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I was there! Glad you are having a good time.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sitting at a dealer’s booth now.
    Having a blast

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the show was well attended !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry I missed you! Glad you had a good show

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well shoot. I would have liked to say hello. Unless you were one the people I talked to without realizing the name/handle connection.

Steven Itzken is definitely a go to guy. I don’t think I’ve ever left his table empty handed. A couple years ago I left him a ‘dream medal’ want and dang if 6 months later or so he didn’t email me with one. I’ll post it later when I’m done with this train ride and rotten internet.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2020 1:10PM

_ (I realize this rant is meaningless to anyone outside of the New York metro area)._

You are mistaken. The different ways that you arrive at this show over the years, have always been one of my favorite parts of your NYINC reports. Go figure! ;) Sorry that you missed Friday, but great report!

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3