Home U.S. Coin Forum

1795 Silver Dollar - Solve the debate real or fake

Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 13, 2020 3:22PM in U.S. Coin Forum

To me the answer is easy fake, thoughts. The bubbles on the reverse scream cast to me. Weight was 22.8 grams

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake. Way underweight just for starters.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who was debating?

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Fake. Way underweight just for starters.

bob

Agreed!!

• Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Who was debating?

The current owner and me. I said sorry guys they said real

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the weight, there is nothing left to debate in connection with the real or fake question...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake... I do not understand why there is any debate at all....Cheers, RickO

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

I do and I bet you do, too. If someone wants to believe something badly enough, sound reasoning and facts don't necessarily get in the way.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld .... Of course, you are correct....and I have seen that many times when people have brought me Grandpa's Morgan dollar, believing it was super valuable...and then getting angry when told it was not...even showing them coin books stating values...Thanks for reminding me...Cheers, RickO

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not even close.

Fake!

My first and only clue......'bubbly' texture on high points (date and lettering).

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that this particular coin is in most likelihood fake.

That said, and just for the record, there is a circumstance where a genuine coin can be underweight and have raised "bubbles." It's called selective corrosion. Take a genuine coin, spatter it with something resistant to corrosion, and leave it in the ground for a hundred years or more. If the soil is acidic enough and wet enough the surfaces not covered by the spatter can corrode away, reducing the weight and leaving little raised areas.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@ricko said:

I do and I bet you do, too. If someone wants to believe something badly enough, sound reasoning and facts don't necessarily get in the way.

Thank God we don't see such stubbornness on this forum!

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

That said, and just for the record, there is a circumstance where a genuine coin can be underweight and have raised "bubbles." It's called selective corrosion. Take a genuine coin, spatter it with something resistant to corrosion, and leave it in the ground for a hundred years or more. If the soil is acidic enough and wet enough the surfaces not covered by the spatter can corrode away, reducing the weight and leaving little raised areas.

TD

True, but such a coin would have a porous surface, would it not?

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably, but that was not the question I was addressing.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

The raised bumps on the reverse, weight (it should weigh 27 grams), and early dollars have a history of being counterfeited... RUN, Forest... RUN!!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

@CaptHenway said:

TD

Tom,

You and I have a different definition for the term "selective corrosion!" Since I claim to be the originator of that term in the numismatic lexicon to describe a characteristic we first saw at ANACS, I suspect someone (who knew very little about the characteristics of coins) moved to CO from DC and corrupted the term. In his defense, I guess when any coin has parts of its surface corroded and parts that are not, the corrosion was "selective."

I'll dig up an image of a coin where the term "selective corrosion" applied in the past. Of course, I'm not the final authority on numismatic terms. I just hate to see a narrowly defined, perfectly descriptive term, bastardized over the years.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake. I wouldn't pay $20 for that based on the pictures alone. :D

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

What if you were amassing a complete US type set of 'fakes' ??? :)
    would you pa 20.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@asheland said:

What if you were amassing a complete US type set of 'fakes' ??? :)
    would you pa 20.

That would be cool I suppose... ;)

• coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭

It's VERY fake!

• coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

Fake

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone so far thought this coin is real? :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

@PerryHall said:

Actually, it is "real." There is an image of it; however, it is not authentic. LOL.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@PerryHall said:

Actually, it is "real." There is an image of it; however, it is not authentic. LOL.

Unfortunately, I think someone probably paid real money for this surreal coin...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:

@Insider2 said:

@PerryHall said:

Unfortunately, I think someone probably paid real money for this surreal coin...

$80 was the shops damage. Cheap tuition I guess as if they thought it was real they should have paid 10x that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file