Home U.S. Coin Forum

5000 cents and these are the best of them

The pictures really don't do justice to the coins but I tried to show the 3 best examples of a bag of 5000, 1974 cents. Spent 2 days looking. I see MS-67's retail for $150 and and one at auction went for over $2000.00 since I have had this bag laying around for a number of years I decided to open it and check what was inside. I placed another 52 cents on the side because they are really nice. I also placed another 7 in 2 x 2's because these in my opinion are the 10 best of 5000. I guest I need a life.

Comments

• HiBuckyHiBucky Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

I also have a bag a sealed bag of 1970s, 1997.s and a couple more bags from the 1960's I am in the process of opening all the bags and taking out the best of the best.. I will send a couple in to be graded and see what happens.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. When these were made, this was playing on the radio: Harry Chapin's "Cat's in the Cradle" Terry Jacks " Season's in the Sun" Ray Stevens "The Streak"

...and who could forget these classics? Chicago "I've Been Searchin' so Long? Queen's "Killer Cent" and Steely Dan's "Rikki Don't Lose that Penny"

• Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Does anyone remember the big 'news' about cents in 1974?

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately your cents have no real value while they are raw. The only way to get the "big money" for those is to have them in PCGS plastic with the high grade on the label ... and that costs money. Then, after achieving the high grades you have to spend more money trying to find someone who will actually pay the value you think the coin has.

Success is unlikely. Sorry.

All glory is fleeting.
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, there was a lot of anticipation that aluminum Cents were in the immediate future. Very many people (including my Dad) set aside $50 face value bags of these coins - my Dad had two bags in his basement for the rest of his life. I know that I sent a 1/2 bag worth to Coinstar in the recent past. I believe that I still have 1/2 a bag tucked in a closet here. Very very very very very common.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HiBucky

Have you compared them against Photograde?

https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/

I would re-look those coins objectively. Would you buy them for $100+ of your hard earned $ with the way they look?

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

too much obverse friction for a consideration at MS67.

• mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots going on in the fields of those pennies. No way would I consider sending them in. I think your question answers my question why I see these type slabbed coins stacked up in "sale bins" at the shows. Nice idea but you will spend more in fees and mailing than you will ever get in return. Sorry...

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Moxie15 said:
    Does anyone remember the big 'news' about cents in 1974?

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the best of the best are still just good cents...Keep searching, if treasure were easy to find, it would not be treasure. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file